Volume of a Wigner Sietz cell

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a Wigner-Seitz cell and the concept of a "hard sphere" diameter in a FCC lattice. The speaker also asks for clarification on how to calculate the distance between atoms in different layers of the lattice. The solution is to use the volume of the conventional cell and count the number of Wigner-Seitz cells within it. The "hard sphere" diameter is a classical physics concept for the arrangement of atoms in a lattice. Further clarification on calculating the distance between atoms can be found in a previous post.
sol66
I have a few questions, first of all I'm trying to figure out how to find the volume of a 3 dimmensional wigner sietz cell. I have the 8th edition intro to solid state physics book by charles kitle and there is no where in the book that shows me how to find the volume of wigner seitz cell.

The question that I am trying to get at is there is a (110) plane of a FCC lattice, covering 4 conventional cells in a 2x2 array. If the side length of the conventional cell is 3.7 Angstrums, evaluate the nearest neighbor distance d("hard sphere" diameter) and the volume of the Wigner-Seitz cell.

First of all, what I don't understand is I thought the Wigner Seitz cell could be stacked perfectly and so I thought that the neighbors line up and touch each other perfectly like stacking cubes. Also could you explain what a "hard sphere" diameter is because no where in my book or ANY online sources can I find what a "hard sphere" diameter is. The second problem was, find the volume of the Wigner Seitz cell and so I thought that by making a 3d cart. coord graph and creating planes that intersect at the normal of the lines at the half way points i could find the volume, but unfortunately no matter what I do it seems to complicated for me. Is their a simple formula or something i could use?

Lastly I am also asked to used the hard sphere diameter to evaluate the distance from an atom to its closest next nearest neighbor in the second layer above it for both the FCC and HCP stacking. The separation between those planes is given by root(8/3). I have no idea what the god my proffessor is talking about, I'm having a heart attack and I really want to understand the material, but as I said none of this stuff is in my book nor in any online lectures or wikipedia or whatever else is out there.

Thanks for your time and replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Wigner-Seitz cell is space filling. So you just need to find some volume that you can calculate easily, and count how many Wigner-Seitz cells are inside. For an fcc lattice, the conventional cell is just a cube of side a with 4 atoms in it, so the Wigner-Seitz cell has a volume of a^3/4.

The "hard sphere" diameter is what you would have if you had a lattice of marbles that just touch each other. They are hard because they don't overlap or anything. It's just a nice classical physics picture for how atoms arrange in a lattice.

There's a post 10-15 messages down about calculating the c/a ratio for HCP. Read through that one.

1. What is a Wigner Seitz cell?

A Wigner Seitz cell is a mathematical concept used in solid state physics to describe the basic unit cell of a crystal lattice. It is defined as the region of space around a lattice point that contains all points closer to that lattice point than to any other point in the crystal lattice.

2. How is the volume of a Wigner Seitz cell calculated?

The volume of a Wigner Seitz cell is calculated by finding the volume of the primitive unit cell of the crystal lattice and then dividing it by the number of lattice points contained within the cell. This can be expressed mathematically as V = a^3/N, where V is the volume, a is the lattice constant, and N is the number of lattice points.

3. What is the significance of the volume of a Wigner Seitz cell?

The volume of a Wigner Seitz cell is significant because it represents the amount of space occupied by a single lattice point in a crystal lattice. It is also used to determine the density of a crystal and to calculate other properties such as the packing fraction and coordination number.

4. How does the volume of a Wigner Seitz cell relate to the properties of a crystal?

The volume of a Wigner Seitz cell is directly related to the properties of a crystal. It affects the density, packing fraction, and coordination number of the crystal, which in turn influence its mechanical, electrical, and thermal properties. The volume of a Wigner Seitz cell also determines the size of the Brillouin zone, which is important in understanding the electronic properties of a crystal.

5. Can the volume of a Wigner Seitz cell change?

No, the volume of a Wigner Seitz cell is a constant value for a specific crystal lattice. However, it can change if the lattice undergoes a phase transition or if there is a change in temperature or pressure. In these cases, the lattice constant may change, resulting in a different volume for the Wigner Seitz cell.