Integrating Wannier Functions: Simplifying the Prefactor Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in finding the final form of an equation related to the Bloch function and the Wannier function. The equation involves an integral over the Brillouin zone and a delta function, but the speaker is having trouble factoring out the exponential term. They are advised to consider the periodicity of u and write the integral over r as a sum over the lattice times an integral over an elementary cell.
Sheng

Homework Statement

upload_2015-12-4_22-3-51.png

I did not manage to get the final form of the equation. My prefactor in the final form always remain quadratic, whereas the solution shows that it is linear,

Homework Equations

w refers to wannier function, which relates to the Bloch function

upload_2015-12-4_22-8-7.png

##\mathbf{R}## is this case should be zero.

The Bloch function
$$\psi_{n\mathbf{k}}=e^{i\mathbf{k \cdot r}}u_{n\mathbf{k}}$$, where ##u_{n\mathbf{k}}## is the cell periodic part.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the given relation ##\mathbf{r\psi_{k}}##, I manage to get the following the equation
$$\langle w \vert \mathbf{r} \vert w \rangle = \left( \frac{\Omega}{8\pi^3} \right)^2 \int_{BZ} d\mathbf{k} d\mathbf{k}' i e^{i(\mathbf{k-k'}) \cdot r} \langle u_{\mathbf{k}} \vert \nabla u_{\mathbf{k'}} \rangle $$,
but I cannot find a way to factorize the exponential term out or to reduce the order of magnitude the prefactor.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sheng said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the given relation ##\mathbf{r\psi_{k}}##, I manage to get the following the equation
$$\left( \frac{\Omega}{8\pi^3} \right)^2 \int_{BZ} d\mathbf{k} d\mathbf{k}' i e^{i(\mathbf{k-k'}) \cdot r} \langle u_{\mathbf{k}} \vert \nabla u_{\mathbf{k}} \rangle $$,
That's not an equation :-)
Do you know hot to express a delta function in terms of an integral over exp ikx?

You are right. I have edited the post and fixed some typos.
Do you mean this?
$$ (2\pi)^3 \delta({\mathbf{k-k'}}) = \int^\infty_{-\infty} e^{i(\mathbf{k-k'}) \cdot \mathbf{r}} d\mathbf{r} $$
But I cannot figure how to factorize the term out.

Last edited:
You still didn't write down an equation. Nevertheless I suspect you forgot about the integration over r.

I do not understand what you mean. If you mean the equation at the third part, I have edited it:
$$
\langle w \vert \mathbf{r} \vert w \rangle = \left( \frac{\Omega}{8\pi^3} \right)^2 \int_{BZ} d\mathbf{k} d\mathbf{k}' i e^{i(\mathbf{k-k'}) \cdot r} \langle u_{\mathbf{k}} \vert \nabla u_{\mathbf{k'}} \rangle
$$

In the original expression there is only one integration over r, which should have been included in ## \langle u_{\mathbf{k}} \vert \nabla u_{\mathbf{k'}} \rangle ##.
Is there anything I miss?

Ok, but you can't pull out the exponential function from the integration over r. You have to use the periodicity of u and write the integral over all of r as a sum over the lattice times an integral over an elementary cell.

1. What are Wannier functions?

Wannier functions are mathematical functions used in solid state physics to describe the distribution of electrons in a crystal lattice. They provide a localized representation of electronic states in a periodic system, making it easier to analyze and interpret the electronic properties of a material.

2. How are Wannier functions integrated?

Wannier functions are integrated using the Wannier interpolation method, which involves calculating the overlap between the Wannier functions and the Bloch states of a crystal. This allows for the transformation of electronic properties from the Bloch basis to the Wannier basis.

3. What are the advantages of using Wannier functions?

Using Wannier functions can simplify the analysis of electronic properties in a material by providing a localized representation of electronic states, making it easier to calculate transport properties, optical properties, and other properties of interest. They can also be used to construct realistic tight-binding models for materials.

4. What factors affect the accuracy of Wannier function integration?

The accuracy of Wannier function integration can be affected by the choice of basis set, the number of bands included in the calculation, and the level of symmetry present in the system. Inaccuracies can also arise from numerical errors and the use of approximate methods.

5. What are some applications of Wannier functions integration?

Wannier function integration is commonly used in the study of electronic properties of materials, such as in the calculation of band structures, density of states, and transport properties. It is also useful in the design and analysis of electronic devices, as well as in the study of topological insulators and other quantum systems.