1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavefunction of a one electron species?

1. Jan 17, 2010 #1
    1. Compute the ground state energy and first excited state energy of a one electron species with Z = 5.
    E = -(Z^2*e^2)/(8*pi*epsilon 0*a*n^2).

2. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to find "a."

3. I know from the question that Z=5 and I assume e=-1.6e-19 C because the pi epsilon 0 thing would go with permittivity constant which allows unit cancellation and n=1 for ground state and n=2 for first excited state. The only problem is I cannot figure out what "a" is so I cannot attempt to answer the question. Help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'm guessing that by "one electron species," you mean one-electron atoms. If that's the case, [itex]a[/itex] probably stands for the Bohr radius. You should be able to find its definition in your textbook or notes.
  4. Jan 17, 2010 #3
    That makes sense because I saw something about that when I was using google and wikipedia to try to figure it out but the problem is this class doesn't have a textbook and we haven't had notes because we have only met once. Can you help me figure out how to find the Bohr's radius?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook