Solving Wavelength Frequency: 740nm Light

• Thread starter konartist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary, the speed of light is 3.0 x 10^8 m/s and the frequency (v) for a wavelength (x) of 740nm light can be calculated using the equation c=(x)(v) where v has the unit of s^-1 or Hertz. When converting units, make sure to cancel out any unnecessary units to get the correct result.
konartist
The speed of light is 3.0 x 10^8 m/s, given the equation c=(x)(v) where v has the unit of s^-1 what is the frequency (v) for the wavelength (x) of 740nm light?

For some reason I'm not getting the right units; maybe someone can find my mistake:

3.0 x 10^8 m/s = 740nm(v)

740nm x (1m / 10^9) = 7.4x10^-7 m

3.0 x 10^8m/s = 7.4 x 10^-7 m /7.4 x 10^-7

(3.0 x 10^8m/s) / (7.4 x 10^-7m) = V

I seem to be having a problem with my units. Can you have m/s/m ?
What exactly does it mean v has the unit of s^-1 ??

Anyone explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
konartist said:
740nm x (1m / 10^9) = 7.4x10^-7 m
No need to put nm there. You've already substituted the value for the 'nano' part.

3.0 x 10^8m/s = 7.4 x 10^-7 m /7.4 x 10^-7
??

(3.0 x 10^8m/s) / (7.4 x 10^-7m) = V

That seems to be right.

I seem to be having a problem with my units. Can you have m/s/m ?
What exactly does it mean v has the unit of s^-1 ??
In a sense, the m's cancel, which leaves you with 1/s.

v is the frequency of light. In simple terms, it tells you how many wave crests (or troughs) pass a point in a second. It's a number divided by time. Since numbers are not physical quantities with units, you are left with 1/s. There's a name for 1/s; it's know as Hertz, abbreviated Hz.

Last edited:

Yes, it is possible to have m/s/m as a unit. In this case, it represents the speed of light, which is measured in meters per second, divided by the wavelength, which is also measured in meters. This results in a unit of 1/second, which is the same as s^-1. This unit represents frequency, which is the number of cycles or waves per second. So, in order to find the frequency (v) for a wavelength of 740nm light, we can use the equation c=(x)(v) and rearrange it to solve for v. This would give us:

v = c / x

Substituting in the values, we get:

v = (3.0 x 10^8 m/s) / (740nm x (1m / 10^9))

v = (3.0 x 10^8 m/s) / (7.4 x 10^-7 m)

v = 4.05 x 10^14 s^-1

Therefore, the frequency of 740nm light is 4.05 x 10^14 s^-1. This means that 740nm light has a frequency of 4.05 x 10^14 cycles or waves per second. I hope this helps clarify any confusion.

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

The relationship between wavelength and frequency is inverse and proportional. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: c = λν, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength, and ν is the frequency.

2. How do you calculate the frequency of 740nm light?

To calculate the frequency of 740nm light, you can use the equation ν = c/λ, where c is the speed of light (3.00 x 10^8 m/s) and λ is the wavelength (740nm). Plugging in these values, we get a frequency of approximately 4.05 x 10^14 Hz.

3. What is the color of 740nm light?

The color of 740nm light falls within the red range of the visible light spectrum. This means that it would appear as a deep red or even infrared to the human eye. However, the perception of color can vary from person to person.

4. How does the frequency of light affect its properties?

The frequency of light affects its properties in several ways. First, it determines the energy of the photons that make up the light. Higher frequency light has more energy than lower frequency light. Second, the frequency also affects the color and wavelength of light. As the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases and the color shifts towards the blue end of the spectrum. Lastly, the frequency can also determine how light interacts with matter, such as being absorbed or reflected.

5. Why is it important to solve for wavelength and frequency in light?

Solving for wavelength and frequency in light is important in understanding the fundamental properties of light. It allows us to determine the energy and color of light, as well as how it behaves and interacts with matter. This knowledge is essential in fields such as optics, astronomy, and telecommunications.