1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves and Pressure Changes

1. Dec 4, 2005 #1
    Say if i have an equation:

x = cos pi/2 (x-330t)

someone told me that 330/4 is the period. I just want to know how come.... whats the 330 represent exactly? i tought it was w (angular frequency) which would mean w/2(pi) = f .... and 1/f = T but i dont get the same results as what he said (330/4) = T....

I'm very confused about this and ive got a test tomorrow... if someone could explain it to me Id very much appreciate it. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The general form for a wave is

y(t) = cos ([itex]\omega[/itex]t + [itex]\theta[/itex]) where [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular frequency (= 2[itex]\pi[/itex]f) and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the phase angle, which is based on the initial condition. The period T = 1/f, and if the wave speed = c, then c = f[itex]\lambda[/itex], where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the wavelength.

Another way to write this expression is

y(x,t) = A sin ([itex]\omega[/itex]t - kx), where k is the wave number, and kx is the phase lag. If kx was preceded by +, the it would represent a phase lead.

4. Dec 4, 2005 #3
    Oh god how embarassing, all this time i was confused about this topic because of a simple MATH error..... i canceled out something i should not have canceled out!!

Oh my god *blushes* :(

Thanks for the help... i still can't believe this lol... =\

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?