Understanding Period and Frequency in Waves and Pressure Changes

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation x = cos (π/2 (x-330t)) and the concept of period in waves. The speaker is confused about the value of 330 and how it relates to the period. They also mention a test coming up and ask for an explanation. The expert summarizes the general form for a wave and different ways to express it, as well as the concept of phase angle and wave speed. The speaker then realizes their mistake and thanks the expert for their help.
Seiya
Say if i have an equation:

x = cos pi/2 (x-330t)

someone told me that 330/4 is the period. I just want to know how come... what's the 330 represent exactly? i tought it was w (angular frequency) which would mean w/2(pi) = f ... and 1/f = T but i don't get the same results as what he said (330/4) = T...

I'm very confused about this and I've got a test tomorrow... if someone could explain it to me Id very much appreciate it. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The general form for a wave is

y(t) = cos ([itex]\omega[/itex]t + [itex]\theta[/itex]) where [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular frequency (= 2[itex]\pi[/itex]f) and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the phase angle, which is based on the initial condition. The period T = 1/f, and if the wave speed = c, then c = f[itex]\lambda[/itex], where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the wavelength.

Another way to write this expression is

y(x,t) = A sin ([itex]\omega[/itex]t - kx), where k is the wave number, and kx is the phase lag. If kx was preceded by +, the it would represent a phase lead.

Oh god how embarassing, all this time i was confused about this topic because of a simple MATH error... i canceled out something i should not have canceled out!

Oh my god *blushes* :(

Thanks for the help... i still can't believe this lol... =\

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Period and Frequency in Waves and Pressure Changes

1. What are waves and how do they work?

Waves are disturbances that transfer energy through a medium. They can be categorized as mechanical or electromagnetic. Mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, while electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum. Waves work by oscillating back and forth, causing particles in the medium to also oscillate and transfer the energy along the wave's path.

2. How do pressure changes affect waves?

Pressure changes can affect waves in different ways depending on the type of wave. For example, in sound waves, changes in pressure can cause changes in the speed and wavelength of the wave. In ocean waves, changes in pressure can cause changes in the height and frequency of the wave. In general, changes in pressure can alter the behavior and characteristics of waves.

3. How are sound waves and pressure changes related?

Sound waves are created by changes in pressure. When an object vibrates, it causes changes in the air pressure around it, which then propagate as sound waves. The frequency of the sound wave is determined by the frequency of the vibrations. Changes in pressure can also affect the speed and intensity of sound waves.

4. Can changes in pressure cause harmful effects on the environment?

Yes, changes in pressure can have harmful effects on the environment. For example, sudden changes in air pressure can cause severe weather events such as tornadoes or hurricanes. Changes in ocean pressure can also cause damaging tsunamis. In addition, changes in pressure due to human activities, such as deep-sea drilling, can disrupt marine ecosystems and harm marine life.

5. How can we measure pressure changes in the environment?

Pressure changes can be measured using various instruments such as barometers, manometers, and pressure gauges. These instruments measure the force exerted by the pressure on a certain area and convert it into a numerical value. In addition, pressure changes can also be measured indirectly by analyzing the behavior of waves, such as changes in frequency or wavelength.