Weight of copper hanging/submerged

In summary, the scale reads 200N when the piece of copper is submerged in fresh water, due to the buoyant force of the displaced fluid. The density of copper and fresh water, as well as the volume of the copper, are all factors in this calculation. It is important to remember to include the force of gravity (9.8m/s^2) in these types of problems.
Mattc
A scale reads 220N when a piece of copper is hanging from it. What does the scale read when it is lowered so the copper is submerged in fresh water.

From a given chart

Density:
copper is 8930 kg/m^3
fresh water is 1000kg/m^3

I found my volume of copper to be .0025m^3

I'm just not sure which direction to go now?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What forces are involved in buoyancy? Draw a free body diagram. Also write down the definition of buoyancy? Does anything click?

Since when was volume measured in Kg?

The forces involved are those from bottom and those on top of object. I have drawn the diagram and I think I know the connection I'm trying to make. The volume of the displaced fluid times density has to relate to the buoyant force? I think its the Newtons that's throwing me off

Integral said:
Since when was volume measured in Kg?

indeed my teach would've smacked me

geezzzz nevermind I got it. I thought i was looking over something simple.While obtaining the forces I was neglecting my 9.8m/s^2

1. How does the weight of copper change when it is submerged in water?

When copper is submerged in water, its weight does not change significantly because copper has a high density and is only slightly affected by the buoyant force of water. This means that the weight of copper hanging or submerged will be very similar.

2. How does the weight of copper hanging in the air compare to its weight when it is submerged in water?

The weight of copper hanging in the air and its weight when submerged in water are essentially the same. This is because the buoyant force of water is not strong enough to significantly affect the weight of copper, which has a high density.

3. Does the weight of copper change if it is submerged in a liquid other than water?

The weight of copper will change slightly if it is submerged in a liquid other than water. This is because different liquids have different densities and therefore exert different buoyant forces on the copper. However, the change in weight will be minimal unless the liquid has a significantly different density than water.

4. How does the shape and size of the copper object affect its weight when it is submerged in water?

The shape and size of a copper object will affect its weight when it is submerged in water. Objects with a larger surface area will experience a greater buoyant force and therefore have a slightly lower weight when submerged. However, for small objects like a piece of copper, the difference in weight will be very small.

5. Does the temperature of the water affect the weight of copper when it is submerged?

The temperature of the water does not significantly affect the weight of copper when it is submerged. However, water expands slightly as it gets warmer, which can result in a very small change in buoyant force and therefore a slight change in weight for the copper object.