What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #4,131
Made a super simple and yummy dish tonight. Cooked some rice, added a can of Hunts petite diced tomatoes and some cheese, stirred until the cheese melted. YUM!

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,132
I love poached eggs but can never get them right, so I bought one of these cheap vegetable steamers.

0004889403770_500X500.jpg

It works great and I'm having poached eggs with salsa. (no ghost peppers today though :wink:)

• #4,133
Ah...the heavenly pleasure of simple, oven-roasted chicken.

• #4,134
Leftover chicken is pretty good.

• #4,135
lisab said:
Mmmmmm, always.

• #4,136
lisab said:
My wife and I like chopping leftover chicken and stir-frying it in peanut oil to make fillings for wraps. Chop onions, peppers, etc, and get them just right, and get the vegetables out of the skilled, and dump in the chopped chicken. Mix the browned chicken with the vegetables and wrap the mix in soft tortillas, cover with marinara in a casserole dish and top with Mexican cheeses and bake. Those enchilada dishes don't last long around here.

• #4,137
Flex doesn't cook, but his housekeeper is making him some chili tonight! Woo woo!

• #4,138
FlexGunship said:
Flex doesn't cook, but his housekeeper is making him some chili tonight! Woo woo!

Not Woo woo - its Who Weeeee!

• #4,139
Has anyone eaten at BURGERFI? They're located around Ft. Lauderdale and Delray Beach, FL.

• #4,140
WhoWee said:
Not Woo woo - its Who Weeeee!

I think I know what I mean.

• #4,141
FlexGunship said:
I think I know what I mean.

sorry

• #4,142
WhoWee said:
Has anyone eaten at BURGERFI? They're located around Ft. Lauderdale and Delray Beach, FL.
GREAT...as soon as I move away all the fun begins

• #4,143
Ouch - my last 2 posts got grumpy responses:confused:

• #4,144
WhoWee said:

{{hug}}

• #4,145
I'm having my annual sweet craving. Evo Child bought me a frozen Sara Lee chocolate silk pie. Baked crust filled with frozen dark chocolate mousse and topped with whipped cream. :!)

• #4,146
lisab said:
{{hug}}

:biggrin:

• #4,147
WhoWee said:
I was thinking about that when I posted my last response...but then I thought...WhoWee will understand that I am grumpy about not being in SFLA to witness burgerfi :biggrin:

• #4,148
HeLiXe said:
I was thinking about that when I posted my last response...but then I thought...WhoWee will understand that I am grumpy about not being in SFLA to witness burgerfi :biggrin:

I like their buns.

• #4,149
For four people:

200g cheese (I used cheddar)
2 apples
2 onions
olive oil
1 tbsp marjoram
3 tbsp mustard
½ tbsp cayenne pepper
1 lb ground red meat
1 cup of cream
2 eggs
1 cup of rice, boiled (so in fact about 3 cups of the boiled rice)

Grate the cheese.

Grate the apple – not too thinly. You can peel it first, or not. Just don't grate seeds :wink:

Cut the onion.

Heat the frying pan, put some olive oil, add onions and marjoram, wait till glassy. Add apple, mustard, cayenne pepper (I didn't have cayenne pepper so I just added one peter pepper), mix and braise 3-4 minutes under cover.

Add meat and increase the heat, mix till meat stops to be red. Add salt and any herbs you like. Add rice, mix and left covered for few minutes so that the rice gets hot.

While the rice gets hot, mix cream with eggs.

Move the meat with the rice to the roasting pot (one large, or four smaller ones). Don't put down. Pour the cream on the mix, use fork to help it sunk down. Put the cheese on top, you may add a pinch of red pepper or green herbs on top for a better visual effect.

Put into hot oven (400 F) for about 20 minutes.

Enjoy.

In Polish only: - she makes half, for 2 people.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #4,150
That sounds (and looks) so good, that I don't know if the recipe for 4 people could actually stretch that far!

• #4,151
Supper was great tonight! And for once, neither of us cooked it. I was tied up most of the day (again!) migrating to a new PC and my wife had two appointments after work. She stopped at the artisan butcher-shop/deli on the way home and picked up a sandwich. It was huge (and there is still enough left over for me to hold me all day tomorrow, even if I eat nothing else. It was made in an oversized Italian-style roll (think of a fat soft-crusted baguette), with about 1/4" of deli-sliced roast beef lining the interior of the roll, stuffed with thin-sliced onions, green peppers, black olives, and jalapeno rings and bacon, topped with pizza cheeses and then broiled in the pizza oven. 5-6 meals for a little over $8. That's dirt-cheap for such tasty food.

The availability of that nice roast beef might be a bit tight over the winter, because the deli's largest customer is a country club a couple of miles away, and golf is going to be winding down soon. That's one of the few meats that the deli buys for resale, and it's a lot cheaper in bulk.

• #4,152
Turbo,

It was grill night, so I made hot dogs. As promised I compared some of the habanero pieces in your relish to a similar sized piece of fresh (just picked) ghost placenta (where all the heat is). Your habs had a different flavor and the heat built and left quickly pretty intense but not bad, the ghost on the other hand, Mother of God !, the pepper was sweet, but the heat built and built and built, my nose started running, and I had to stop eating for a few minutes. It is definitely hotter and for a longer period. Once that calmed down I finished a hot dog with your relish on it, spicy but not intense. When the ghost heat started to subside I got a nice adrenaline rush which I wasn't expecting. So there you have it taste test complete. If I had munched on just the ghost pepper itself without getting the oil in the placenta it would not have been as hot as the habanero. It just depends which part of the pepper you select.

Rhody...

• #4,153
Wait until next summer, Roadster (assuming I can get a decent year for habaneros). I'll send you some fresh ripe ones, and a jar of decent relish instead of this year's wimpy all-green stuff. There is a big difference! You'd better hope my crop of ripe habs is big enough to let me make a year's worth of chili relish, or you might not get a jar. (You'd have to come up here to sample it! Sneaky, huh?) When I have only 5-6 jars of the ripe habanero relish, I get really antsy about letting any go, because it just won't last.

One year, I had such a nice crop that I was comfortable in giving a neighbor, a former co-worker, and my bother all jars of ripe habanero relish. That was a mistake, because I had a crappy chili year the next season. Still, none of them ever asked for more. It was just too much heat for all of them.

I also gave a jar to my father's mechanic/poker-buddy and the parapalegic son of another friend of my father, who gives him squash, corn, etc. The guy in the wheelchair dipped into the relish with a tortilla chip, and his parents thought that he was going to die when he took a bite. The poker-buddy was more careful, and when he sampled the heat, he set the jar aside to use in small amounts to spice up spaghetti, dynamites, and chili. After all that waste (unintended uses) I haven't given any habanero relish away, because those extra jars might have gotten me through a poor gardening season. I love the ripe stuff on hot dogs, burgers, etc.

I have one half-pint left from a mini-batch that I made a couple of years back out of "almost" ripe orange habs, but I'm saving it for a special occasion. It's not like the ripe-chili relish, but it's better than anything in the pantry. It looks like my wife's production crew will be expected to work a lot of overtime for the next few months, and if she makes a lot of shakes and juices for herself, I may be eating more hot-dogs, and have to break that jar open.

Last edited:
  • #4,154
Right fruit, wrong picture?

This article is listing all the "exotic" food items that one should be eating.

http://health.yahoo.net/rodaleSlide...ealthy-fruits-and-veggies-you-aren-t-eating#0

Because of where I grew up, I'm quite familiar with all of the items listed. But unless I had a major brain malfunction, the picture for lychee is wrong. They are showing what appears to be rambutan, instead of lychee. The lychee fruit isn't as "hairy".

Anyone else recognize the fruit?

Zz.

• #4,155
ZapperZ said:
Right fruit, wrong picture?

This article is listing all the "exotic" food items that one should be eating.

http://health.yahoo.net/rodaleSlide...ealthy-fruits-and-veggies-you-aren-t-eating#0

Because of where I grew up, I'm quite familiar with all of the items listed. But unless I had a major brain malfunction, the picture for lychee is wrong. They are showing what appears to be rambutan, instead of lychee. The lychee fruit isn't as "hairy".

Anyone else recognize the fruit?

Zz.
It's definitely rambutan, I've had them before.

• #4,156
WhoWee said:
I like their buns.
I like the white bread from Jimmy John's :biggrin:

• #4,157
HeLiXe said:
I like the white bread from Jimmy John's :biggrin:
I love Jimmy John's French bread. Had a piece of one for lunch yesterday. #9 Italian Nightclub. :!)

• #4,158
Evo said:
I love Jimmy John's French bread. Had a piece of one for lunch yesterday. #9 Italian Nightclub. :!)

I must admit - Jimmy John's delivery is very popular on cold-snowy days at the office. The last time we had blizzard conditions, the franchise owner called one of my associates on his cell phone (about 9:00 AM) to ask him if they would be needed. I was so impressed with their initiative, I made an effort to eat there and took sandwiches home several times in the following weeks.

• #4,159
Making lentils and rice dish again, but with a twist. I know you already know where this is going. I will be adding ghost bits to it. I am down to 1.5 peppers, just enough for me.

Rhody... :eek:

• #4,160
My wife finished up the last of our "loaded" roast-beef sub last night. That was 6 meals out a sandwich that cost a little over $8. I've got to hand it to Tracy - when she decided to expand beyond the butcher-shop and get into deli meats and cheeses/sandwiches/pizzas, she staked out some territory that no other local shops could claim. Generous portions with fresh quality ingredients, and meats from locally-raised critters. She will stock almost anything that is locally-grown because people expect it of her. I didn't have enough garlic to sell to her this year, but last year, she bought every bit that my wife took to her store. We charged her $5/lb, and she retailed it for $1/bulb, and her customers were snapping it up. Her husband took the whole first delivery back home for their own use after he sampled it, so my wife had to take down another load so Tracy would have some to sell.

http://www.svweekly.com/joom1511/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4674:kniffins-is-smokin-again&catid=6:business&Itemid=177

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #4,161
I'm afraid they can't beat Jimmy John's Gargantuan $7.99

Attachments

• jimmy john's gargantuan.jpg
    jimmy john's gargantuan.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 324
  • #4,162
There used to be a steak sandwich shop around here called Steak Out. Their so-called small, was a very large sandwich, way too much for me to eat at one sitting. They had two sizes larger than that. I never saw anyone order a huge, it must have been a cow and a roll. They also sold two sizes smaller than small, a bite and a nibble. Even a bite was a large sandwich and I normally ordered a nibble. The first time I ate there I didn't know what the sizes were and just ordered a small.

• #4,163
Astro and his son are big eaters (lean and hungry!). I'm pretty sure that they'd be able to tuck away one of Tracy's large roast beef grilled sandwiches, but I'd not place a bet on any other two people that I know.

• #4,164
rhody said:
Making lentils and rice dish again, but with a twist. I know you already know where this is going. I will be adding ghost bits to it. I am down to 1.5 peppers, just enough for me.

Rhody... :eek:
Just having the dish now with a sprinkling of ghost bits, two thumbs up... I like the adrenaline rush too... in fact it is the main reason I like this dish, hehe... You can't wolf it down though, slow and easy does it. Turbo, Astro, I bet you would like this.

Rhody...

• #4,165
Evo said:

oh man it's so good. Love the #15, cut in half, sans sprouts.:!)