What Happens to the Normal Force When the Applied Force is Removed?

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a block on a frictionless surface with a force applied at an angle of 30° to the horizontal. The magnitude of the block's acceleration is 6.93 m/s^{2} and the magnitude of the normal force is 17.3 N. The follow-up exercise asks for the magnitude of the normal force after the applied force is removed and the net force on the block just after it leaves the table. The answers given in the book are 7.35 N and neglecting air resistance, 7.35 N downward, but it is determined that these answers are incorrect.
Sinusoidal

Homework Statement

A force of 10.0 N is applied at an angle of 30° to the horizontal on a 1.25-kg block initially at rest on a frictionless surface. a) What is the magnitude of the block’s acceleration? b) What is the magnitude of the normal force?

This was en example in my book. I understood this part. The answer to a) is 6.93 m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex] , and the answer to b) is 17.3 N.

I didn’t understand the follow-up exercise.

a) Suppose the applied force on the block is applied for only a short time. What is the magnitude of the normal force after the applied force is removed? b) If the block slides off the edge of the table, what would be the net force on the block just after it leaves the table (with the applied force removed)?

The book gives these answers:

a) 7.35 N
b) Neglecting air resistance, 7.35 N, downward

Homework Equations

I thought you'd use this since the applied force was removed, but I'm not getting the right answer.

#1 ∑Fy=N-mg=ma=0
N=mg

#2 ∑Fy=N-Fy-mg=ma=0

The Attempt at a Solution

N=(1.25kg)(9.80 m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex])=12.3 N

Earlier, I used the 2nd equation when I was calculating the normal force with the applied force, so I thought removing Fy from the equation would give me the correct answer. Help!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you're right and the book answer is incorrect.

Likes Rodrigo2558

Hello,
Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track with your attempt at a solution. Let me guide you through the steps to find the correct answers for both parts a) and b).
a) When the applied force is removed, the block will continue to move with a constant velocity, as there are no other forces acting on it. This means that the net force on the block is equal to zero. We can use this information to set up the following equation:
∑Fy = N - mg = ma = 0
Where N is the normal force, m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the block.
We can rearrange this equation to solve for N:
N = mg
Substituting in the values given in the problem, we get:
N = (1.25 kg)(9.80 m/s^2) = 12.25 N
This is the normal force when the applied force is still present. To find the normal force after the applied force is removed, we need to use the same equation, but with a different value for the acceleration. Since the block is now moving with a constant velocity, its acceleration is equal to zero.
N - mg = ma = 0
N = mg
Therefore, the magnitude of the normal force after the applied force is removed is also 12.25 N.

b) When the block slides off the edge of the table, it is no longer in contact with the surface and therefore the normal force is equal to zero. This means that the only force acting on the block is its weight, which is equal to mg.
∑Fy = N - mg = ma = 0
N = mg
Therefore, the net force on the block just after it leaves the table is equal to its weight, which is 12.25 N, acting downward.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Remember, when the applied force is removed, the block will continue to move at a constant velocity, so its acceleration is equal to zero. And when the block is no longer in contact with

Related to What Happens to the Normal Force When the Applied Force is Removed?

1. What is "applied force removed"?

"Applied force removed" refers to the removal or cessation of a force that was previously acting on an object. This can be achieved by physically removing the source of the force or by balancing it with an equal and opposite force.

2. How does removing an applied force affect an object?

Removing an applied force can result in a change in the object's motion or state of rest. If the force was accelerating the object, it will slow down or stop once the force is removed. If the force was keeping the object in motion, it will continue moving at a constant speed or direction unless acted upon by another force.

3. What are some examples of applied force being removed?

Some examples of applied force being removed include turning off an electric motor, releasing a spring, removing a weight from a pulley system, or stopping a moving object by applying friction. In all of these cases, the force that was acting on the object is removed, resulting in a change in its motion or state of rest.

4. How does removing an applied force affect the energy of an object?

Removing an applied force can cause a change in the energy of an object. If the force was doing work on the object, such as accelerating it, then removing the force will result in a decrease in the object's kinetic energy. However, if the force was acting against the object's motion, removing it will increase the object's kinetic energy.

5. Can removing an applied force cause damage to an object?

It is possible for removing an applied force to cause damage to an object, especially if the force was keeping the object in a stable position. For example, if a heavy object is lifted by a crane and the force is suddenly removed, the object may fall and cause damage. Additionally, removing a force too quickly or with too much force can also cause damage to an object. It is important to carefully consider the effects of removing an applied force on an object before doing so.