What is causing the loss of tracking in my spring-mass system?

In summary, it appears that you are dealing with a resonance phenomenon in your spring-mass system. To better understand it, you may want to read up on resonance and the mathematics behind it, such as Fourier analysis and transfer functions.
courtjester14
Hi everyone! This is my first post here at PF after years of on & off lurking!

So, I'll get straight to it. At work (yes work, not HW) I have a forcing function signal that acts on a spring-mass system. When the spring-mass system "tracks" the forcing function, the curves overlap. However, as frequency is increased to a point, the amplitude of the response signal increases, and then loses "tracking". When it loses tracking, we see a signal that is the same frequency as the forcing function, but two things are evident: it is a composite of some combination of signals and there appears to be a beat phenomena.

So anyway, I just purchased a book on vibration because I had sold mine in college for food. Before it gets here, maybe I could get some suggestions as to what I should look for? I am specifically looking to place a function to the response signal. I'll draw up a quick picture in non-other than MS Paint.

*The black is the forcing function (simple sine wave) and the blue is the response. Top is tracking, bottom is loss of tracking*

Thank you for your help!:biggrin:

Attachments

• signal.bmp
    193.7 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you may be dealing with a phenomenon known as resonance. Resonance is a type of oscillation that occurs when an external force is applied to a system and the frequency of that force matches the natural frequency of the system. When this happens, the amplitude of the response increases significantly compared to the amplitude of the external force. This can cause the system to 'lose tracking' of the external force.To understand this better, I'd suggest reading up on the basics of resonance and vibration. You may also find it helpful to look into the mathematics behind resonance, such as Fourier analysis or transfer functions. These mathematical tools can help you better understand the behavior of your system and can help you identify the underlying components of the response signal.

Related to What is causing the loss of tracking in my spring-mass system?

1. What is Response Signal Analysis?

Response Signal Analysis is a scientific method used to study and analyze the responses of a system or organism to a given stimulus. It involves measuring and interpreting the changes in signals, such as electrical or biological signals, in response to a stimulus.

2. What types of signals can be analyzed using Response Signal Analysis?

Response Signal Analysis can be applied to a wide range of signals, including electrical signals such as EEG or ECG, mechanical signals such as force or pressure, and biological signals such as hormone levels or gene expression.

3. How is Response Signal Analysis different from other signal analysis techniques?

Response Signal Analysis is specifically focused on studying the response of a system or organism to a given stimulus, whereas other signal analysis techniques may be more general in nature. Response Signal Analysis also often involves time-series analysis, where the signals are analyzed over a period of time.

4. What are some applications of Response Signal Analysis?

Response Signal Analysis has many applications in various fields such as neuroscience, biology, engineering, and psychology. It can be used to study brain activity, understand the effects of drugs on the body, analyze the performance of mechanical systems, and more.

5. What are some common tools and techniques used in Response Signal Analysis?

Some common tools and techniques used in Response Signal Analysis include signal processing methods such as Fourier transform and wavelet analysis, statistical methods such as regression and correlation analysis, and machine learning algorithms. Specialized software and equipment may also be used for data collection and analysis.