What is the Average Net Force on a Diver During a Fall into a Swimming Pool?

In summary, the problem involves a 76.0 kg diver falling from a height of 6.9 m into a swimming pool and stopping in 1.44 s. The goal is to find the magnitude of the average net force exerted on the diver during this time. Relevant equations include F=ma, F=J/delta t, and J=delta P=(mass)(velocity-0). The problem can also be solved by finding the buoyant force and subtracting the weight of the diver. To do this, the final velocity before entering the water must be calculated using Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad, which then becomes the initial velocity after entering the water. Finally, using Vf =
Naldo6
1. Homework Statement [/b]

A 76.0 kg diver falls from rest into a swimming pool from a height of 6.9 m. It takes 1.44 s for the diver to stop after entering the water. Find the magnitude of the average net force exerted on the diver during that time.

Physics news on Phys.org
What equations do you know of that would be relevant to this problem? Where are you getting stuck at in trying to solve this problem?

idont know how to do it.. i just know that F= J/delta t...but i don't know anymore ...or i don't know if this proble is solved by other way or other formula...

wouldn't the only force be gravity?

i don't know... byt F= J/delta t
and J=delta P= (mass)( velocity - 0)
and i don't know if the 1.44 s is the right delta t to the formula...

also i need to calculate that velocity because the mass is 76.0 kg

After rereading the problem, wouldn't you need to find the bouyent force and then subtract the mg from it? Because those are the only two force I see working on the diver.

and how i do that?... please explian me better...

sorry, I don't remember the formula, but there is another way I think.

It's rather long.

You know the formula F=ma right?

The diver has an upward force pushing it up until it stops and a downward force.
The downward force is mg. To find the upward force:

upwardforce - mg = ma

because the mg is smaller (that's why it stops) we the upward force (winner) from the downwardforce (loser)

but you don't know a, but you could find it.

first, figure out the final velocity of the diver RIGHT BEFORE he hits the water. This can be found by using a distance formula. Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad.

That final velocity becomes the intial velocity once the diver is in the water. So use another formula, Vf = Vi + at, and solve for a.

Finally, go back to the top and plug in a.

*The net force should be the upward force - the downward force* because net force is by how much a force is winning

I hope this right. I am not too sure, but this looks like the best way to solve the problem.

thanks i did it...

What is average net force?

Average net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of all individual forces. It represents the combined effect of all forces on an object over a period of time.

How do you calculate average net force?

To calculate average net force, you need to add together all the individual forces acting on an object and then divide by the total number of forces. This will give you the average net force, which is represented by the symbol Fnet.

What units are used to measure average net force?

Average net force is typically measured in Newtons (N) in the International System of Units (SI). In the English system of units, it is measured in pounds (lbs).

What is the difference between average net force and net force?

Average net force takes into account the total effect of all forces on an object over a period of time, while net force is the overall force acting on an object at a specific moment in time. In other words, average net force is a representation of the average of all forces, while net force is a representation of a specific moment in time.

Why is it important to calculate average net force?

Calculating average net force is important because it allows us to understand the overall effect of multiple forces on an object. This can help us predict the motion of an object and determine how much force is needed to achieve a certain result. It also allows us to analyze the forces acting on an object and make adjustments to achieve a desired outcome.