What is the Average Velocity of a Motorist with Multiple Legs of Travel?

In summary, the motorist drives for a total of 50 minutes at a speed of 85km/h and then stops for 15 minutes. He continues traveling for 2 hours at a speed of 130km/h. The total displacement is 180km. To find the average velocity, we use the formula v=∆X/∆t and get 1.06km/m as the answer.
rdmfresno

Homework Statement

A motorist drives for 35 minutes at 85km/h and then stops for 15.0 minutes. He then continues traveling 130km in 2 hours. a) What is his total displacement? b) What is his average velocity?

Homework Equations

v= ∆X/∆t (Change in displacement over change in time)

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided 85/km/h and 60 minutes. That makes 1.42 km/m. I timed that by (35) minutes and for the first leg he traveled 49.7km. During the 15 minute break he traveled 0. During the second leg that distance was given (130km). So, 49.7km + 130km gives us the displacement of 180km (roughly).

Now I'm having a hard-time with the average velocity. I use to above formula and get 180km/170minutes (180km is the change in displacement and 170 minutes is the change in time (35m+15m+120m). The answer 1.06km/m seems a little weird to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured out what I did wrong. I can't find the delete option.

Related to What is the Average Velocity of a Motorist with Multiple Legs of Travel?

1. What is average velocity?

Average velocity is a measure of an object's overall displacement over a given time period. It is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time elapsed.

2. How is average velocity different from average speed?

Average velocity takes into account an object's direction of motion, while average speed only considers the magnitude of an object's displacement. This means that average velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial position, while average speed is always positive.

3. What is the formula for calculating average velocity?

The formula for average velocity is: average velocity = (final position - initial position) / total time elapsed. This can also be represented as Δx/Δt, where Δx is the change in position and Δt is the change in time.

4. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative if an object's displacement is in the opposite direction of its initial position. It is important to pay attention to both the magnitude and direction of an object's displacement when calculating average velocity.

5. How is average velocity used in real-world applications?

Average velocity is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the motion of objects and to predict their future positions. It is also used in sports to analyze the performance of athletes and in transportation to determine the efficiency of vehicles.