What is the difference between pectoral minor and major?

In summary: There are plenty of people that start with much less, and still remain impressive.In summary, pectoral minor is smaller and is focused more on the front of the chest. Pectoral major is the larger muscle and is focused more on the back of the chest. Pectoralis major "buffs" up pectorals by working the front and the back of the muscle. Doing exercises that work the pectorals does not stunt growth.
ConcealedDreamer
What is the difference between pectoral minor and major? What exercises "buffs" up pectorals? Does doing exercise stunt growth?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/PectoralisSternal.html

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/PectoralisMinor.html

Click on the links under movement.

Pushups are perhaps the easiest, and relatively low impact for the pectoralis major, and rather than hands resting on palms, extend fingers - i.e. finger tip push ups.

Bench press with barbell or dumb bells to the side works.

Using the lats bar on a universal - facing the bar and pulling down in front, the rotating forearms forward and downward.

Each exercise puts a different stress orientation on the muscle.

Exercise does not stunt growth. Improper nutrition will have an effect as well as too little sleep. Growth is affected by hormones and genetics.

I see, thanks!

If you don't have time to follow this link, you don't have the dedication to get good pecs:
http://www.bullz-eye.com/furci/2002/041701.htm

I have been reading Michael Furci for a logn time, and he knows his stuff. He's not some men's magazine journalist that makes up stuff, either.

ConcealedDreamer said:
What is the difference between pectoral minor and major? What exercises "buffs" up pectorals? Does doing exercise stunt growth?

butterflys, dumbell raises, bench press...

On another note, pull-ups or chin-ups are excellent for getting that V-shape in the back. Think Brad Pitt in Fight Club

ConcealedDreamer said:
Pectoral Major would be Pamela Anderson; Pectoral Minor would be Sandra Bullock, but one hell of a lot hotter anyhow. :biggrin:

You gain very little by doing finger push ups.

I like to use cables, but whatever works for you.

Push-up work for me, with your palm just outside your shoulder gives a width to your pecs and just inside gives them depth.

Finger pushups increase the range by about 4 inches, which stretches the muscles. And it strengthens the fingers - especially one-arm finger push-ups. Very useful for those who do martial arts - like shotokan or kempo.

A variation on pushups - push back as fast as possible then clap hands together in front of chest - first one clap, then work up to 2 claps and more.

Variation on that - clap hands behind the back or behind head.

And catch yourself before you land on the ground. :biggrin:

Do at least 10 or even 20 reps of each.

Very good exercise that promotes speed as well as strength - all very important in martial arts.

the best thing you can do is simply throw on the heaviest weights you can muster in the 8-10 rep range after a warmup, and then go down in reps on every supsequent set, while going up in weight. you'll get huge, trust me.

Gza said:
the best thing you can do is simply throw on the heaviest weights you can muster in the 8-10 rep range after a warmup, and then go down in reps on every supsequent set, while going up in weight. you'll get huge, trust me.

Hmm, and risking damaging your back :uhh:

If you're starting from the beginning, don't go start bench pressing 300+ pounds
or even 200.

Last edited:
damaging your back? when lying flat on the bench?? & starting with 200 or 300lbs?! i haven't heard of anybody doing anything like that. everybody starts with whatever they can handle, & then they work up to big weights over the course of YEARS. (not weeks or months!)

i'm not down with benching because i don't want to risk wrecking my shoulders, so i guess i don't do anything direct for my chest. since I'm old-school i don't use any more equipment other than a bar, a squat rack, & some plates. the only pressing i do is overhead. if i really wanted to concentrate on my chest though, i'd do nothing but bench presses, because then i'd have 2 joints (elbows & shoulders) & all the muscles around there working as a team, rather than isolating just 1. isn't that how things work in the real world? when pushing a car out of a ditch you don't try to isolate your hamstrings; your hamstrings, quads, calves, glutes, lower back, etc all work together. same idea with bench pressing.

The_Professional said:
Hmm, and risking damaging your back :uhh:

If you're starting from the beginning, don't go start bench pressing 300+ pounds
or even 200.

lol. I wish it were that easy! No one can just slap 300 pounds onto a bar and bench it as a beginner. I've been working out consistently for 8 years (mostly for football and other sports), and have been a personal trainer for the past 3. After all that, my bench isn't more than 280 (haven't had one weightroom related injury either). I started off at barely being able to lift around 65 (which at the time I would struggle with for about 8-10 reps.) I would say without flinching, that if you are too afraid to exert yourself, and push your body to it's limits, you'll never improve. And, sorry, you can do pushups until you're blue in the face, but a pushup just isn't enough of a signal to your body that it needs to put on strength and muscle mass.

A gradual buildup of weights over the course of a few weeks is what I was implying. Since I've seen friends just go all the way after not having worked out in a long while. Risking injury

As far as pushups go, they're great but depending on whether you're building strength or just don't have space for an equipment that or dumbbells/barbells may be enough.

ConcealedDreamer said:

I've been into exercising for a long time: Dont' concentrate on one musscle group just because they look cool, well delts too but I digress. Approach exercising from a "whole body" perspective. The results will come if you stick to it: Say about 20-30 different exercises in a one hour period, several sets of some if you wish but distribute them over upper body, legs, abs, arms, back. The nice pecs will emerge naturally say, 3-6 months and in the end you'll have a nice uniform appearance instead of some big stuff and others not so.

Wait a minute: 3-6 months if you're young. If you're like me in your 40's, you'll need to exercise regularly just to stay even and can forget about getting anything much bigger than you already have them, natural-wise anyway.

Last edited:

The pectoral minor and major muscles are both located in the chest area and play a role in shoulder movement. However, there are several key differences between the two:

1. Where are they located?

The pectoral major is a larger and more superficial muscle, located closer to the surface of the chest. The pectoral minor is a smaller muscle, located deeper and underneath the pectoral major.

2. What are their functions?

The pectoral major is responsible for several movements of the shoulder, including flexion, adduction, and medial rotation. The pectoral minor, on the other hand, primarily stabilizes the scapula.

3. How do they differ in shape and size?

The pectoral major is a larger and more triangular-shaped muscle, while the pectoral minor is smaller and more triangular or fan-shaped.

4. Do they have different nerve innervations?

Yes, the pectoral major is innervated by the medial and lateral pectoral nerves, while the pectoral minor is innervated by the medial pectoral nerve.

5. Are there any differences in their blood supply?

The pectoral minor receives its blood supply from the thoracoacromial artery, while the pectoral major receives blood from the pectoral branch of the thoracoacromial artery and the thoracic branch of the axillary artery.