What is the final speed of a box sliding down a ramp onto a horizontal floor?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a frictionless ramp and a box of mass m sliding down the ramp onto a horizontal floor. The goal is to find the velocity of the box after it has left the ramp. The equation used for solving this problem is conservation of momentum, which states that momentum is always conserved in any direction without external forces.
nahanksh

Homework Statement

http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?courses/phys211/oldexams/exam2/fa08/fig5a.gif

A frictionless ramp of mass 3m is initially at rest on a horizontal frictionless floor. A small box of mass m is placed at the top of the ramp and then released from rest. After the box is released, it slides down the ramp and onto the horizontal floor, where it is measured to have a speed v, having fallen a total distance h.
What is the speed v of the box after it has left the ramp?
http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?courses/phys211/oldexams/exam2/fa08/fig5b.gif

Homework Equations

d(K.E.) = -d(P.E.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't quite get the situation here..(maybe poorly worded)

What's the meaning of the velocity of "pointing right" in the figure?

Anyway, when interpreting that as the same variable as velocity of the block,
i tried to do like the following:

Using the above equation,(Energy conservation)

0.5*m*v^2 + 0.5*(3m)*v^2 = mgh

Then the answer coming from this is not in the options...

What's wrong in my attempt?

Could someone help me out here, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nahanksh! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
nahanksh said:
0.5*m*v^2 + 0.5*(3m)*v^2 = mgh

You mean 0.5*m*v^2 + 0.5*(3m)*V^2.

Now use conservation of momentum :smile:

I never thought i could use the conservation of momentum !
(I thought it could be used only when there is a collision)

Could you briefly tell me the condition of eligibility for using "conservation of momentum" ?

Thanks a lot ,tiny-tim.

Oh, BTW, x^2 using Tags?
My Tags section shows me "NONE", how did you do it? lol

nahanksh said:
Could you briefly tell me the condition of eligibility for using "conservation of momentum" ?

Always always always

momentum (unlike mechanical energy) is always conserved in any direction in which there are no external forces. :smile:
Oh, BTW, x^2 using Tags?
My Tags section shows me "NONE", how did you do it? lol

When you click the QUOTE button, you should get the Reply page, and there are lots of tags just above the Reply box.

[noparse](or just type "x2"[/noparse]: x2 :wink:)

Thanks a lot !
God bless you !

Related to What is the final speed of a box sliding down a ramp onto a horizontal floor?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects over time.

2. What is a ramp and how does it relate to kinematics?

A ramp is a sloped surface that allows objects to move up or down with less force than if they were moving on a flat surface. In kinematics, ramps are often used to study the effects of gravity on an object's motion.

3. How is velocity calculated on a ramp?

Velocity on a ramp can be calculated using the formula v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time. This formula takes into account the slope of the ramp and the object's displacement over a given time period.

4. Is the acceleration of an object on a ramp constant?

No, the acceleration of an object on a ramp is not constant. It changes as the object moves up or down the ramp due to the effects of gravity. However, the acceleration can be calculated at any given point using the formula a = g*sin(θ), where a is acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the ramp.

5. Can kinematics be used to study the motion of objects on any type of ramp?

Yes, kinematics can be used to study the motion of objects on any type of ramp, as long as the slope and other factors affecting the motion are taken into account. However, the calculations and formulas used may differ depending on the specific type of ramp being studied.