What could explain the existence of The Great Attractor?

• B
  • Thread starter rrw4rusty
  • Start date
In summary: If not, making the assumption that TGA is not a unique object, can it be explained by using any of the universe's known structures by making them denser?I'm not sure what you mean.In summary, the article suggests that the Great Attractor might be a cluster of galaxies that are hidden from view by the Milky Way. However, it is still up for debate as per the Wikipedia article. It is possible that the GA is an illusion once you apply the correct reference frame. Additionally, the article suggests that the universe might be expanding because of the energy released by the big bang. However, this does not explain the fact that galaxies far beyond the GA but in the same general direction show
rrw4rusty
Hello,

I guess first I must ask, have we figured out exactly what The Great Attractor (TGA) is? http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2016/02/solved-the-great-attractor-mystery-hundreds-of-previously-unknown-galaxies-discovered-hidden-behind-.html seems to indicate we might.

If not...

Then I have two questions. We seem to know the approximate location and how much mass it must have and since it is hidden by an expanding slice the Milky Way hides from view we know it must fit within this slice. Therefore:

1. Are there any other structures within the explored universe that would, if placed there, act like the TGA?

2. If not, making the assumption that TGA is not a unique object, can it be explained by using any of the universe's known structures by making them denser?

Thank you for your help,
Rusty

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
I think its still up for debate as per this wikipedia article :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Attractor

Thx so much for responding! I believe the article is newer then the wikipedia article. My primary questions follow...I'll assume you don't know. Actually no one may know unless they look around at the all the dense clusters we've found so far and go to the trouble of working it out but I thought I'd ask.

Rusty

Hmmm , if you'll pardon an amateurish question...

if we're that close to GA, and presumably accelerating toward it,

might expanding universe be a backward conclusion from observed Hubble redshift , ie we're accelerating toward GA and away from distant stars rather than them accelerating away from us ?

jim hardy said:
Hmmm , if you'll pardon an amateurish question...

if we're that close to GA, and presumably accelerating toward it,

might expanding universe be a backward conclusion from observed Hubble redshift , ie we're accelerating toward GA and away from distant stars rather than them accelerating away from us ?
That would not explain (and in fact would contradict) the fact that galaxies far beyond the GA but in the same general direction show a red shift indicating that they are receding from us at a very high rate.

I suspect the GA is merely an illusion once you apply the correct reference frame.

rrw4rusty said:
I guess first I must ask, have we figured out exactly what The Great Attractor (TGA) is? http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2016/02/solved-the-great-attractor-mystery-hundreds-of-previously-unknown-galaxies-discovered-hidden-behind-.html seems to indicate we might.

This site is not listed as an acceptable source as detailed on the rules page. I don't see anything special about finding a bunch of new galaxies, this is very common in any direction we look.

1. Are there any other structures within the explored universe that would, if placed there, act like the TGA?

The first thing that comes to mind would be the origination point of the big bang, since the universe would end in a big crunch without the energy to drive expansion.

stoomart said:
The first thing that comes to mind would be the origination point of the big bang, since the universe would end in a big crunch without the energy to drive expansion.
There is no such thing. Read some basic cosmology.

Likes stoomart
phinds said:
There is no such thing. Read some basic cosmology.
I'm working on that. Wouldn't there be a center of mass building if the universe was collapsing in a big crunch?

stoomart said:
Wouldn't there be a center of mass building if the universe was collapsing in a big crunch?

No. On cosmological scales the universe is spatially homogeneous; there is no "center", any point in space is the same as any other.

The universe is not like an ordinary object, and the universe expanding is not like an ordinary substance like a gas expanding into a pre-existing empty space.

Related to What could explain the existence of The Great Attractor?

What is the Great Attractor?

The Great Attractor is a mysterious gravitational anomaly located in the direction of the constellation Centaurus, about 250 million light-years away from Earth.

How was the Great Attractor discovered?

The Great Attractor was first discovered in the 1970s when astronomers noticed that our Milky Way galaxy and its neighboring galaxies were moving towards a specific point in space at high speeds.

What is the cause of the Great Attractor's gravitational pull?

The exact cause of the Great Attractor's gravitational pull is still unknown. Some scientists believe that it could be a massive cluster of galaxies, while others propose that it could be a large concentration of dark matter.

What is the significance of the Great Attractor?

The Great Attractor plays an important role in shaping the large-scale structure of the universe. Its gravitational pull influences the motion of galaxies and can help scientists understand the distribution of matter in the universe.

Will we ever be able to visit the Great Attractor?

Due to its immense distance and the expansion of the universe, it is highly unlikely that we will ever be able to physically visit the Great Attractor. However, scientists continue to study and gather more information about this mysterious cosmic object.