What is the net electric field at x = + 2.0 cm?

In summary, a charge of +3.5 µC is located at the origin and a charge of -3.5 µC is located at x = 10.0 cm on the x axis. The net electric field at x = -2.0 cm is 76562500 N/C and at x = +2.0 cm is -2187500 N/C. However, there seems to be some discrepancy in the calculation of the second value.
mikep
Can someone please help me with this question?
Two point charges lie on the x axis. A charge of + 3.5 µC is at the origin, and a charge of -3.5 µC is at x = 10.0 cm. What is the net electric field at x = -2.0 cm? What is the net electric field at x = + 2.0 cm?

for the first one i did
[tex]k q/r^2[/tex]
[tex](9 x 10^9) (3.5 x 10^-6)/(0.02m)^2 = 78750000 N/C[/tex]
[tex](9 x 10^9) (-3.5 x 10^-6)/(0.12m)^2 = -2187500[/tex]
[tex]78750000 - 2187500 = 76562500N/C[/tex]
can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
what seems to be the problem?
do the solutions have a different answer?:S

yeah when i entered this value in, i got it wrong

I just tried the first question, and I got 7656250N/C (to the left). I'm sure that's the answer...

how do you get that?

Related to What is the net electric field at x = + 2.0 cm?

1. What is a net electric field?

A net electric field is a measurement of the combined electric forces acting on a charged particle at a specific point in space. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of all the individual electric fields present at that point.

2. How is the net electric field calculated?

The net electric field is calculated by summing up all the individual electric fields at a point, taking into account their direction and magnitude. This can be done using vector addition or by using the principle of superposition.

3. What is the unit of measurement for net electric field?

The unit of measurement for net electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m) in SI units.

4. What does x = +2.0 cm represent in the context of net electric field?

In this context, x = +2.0 cm represents the specific point in space at which we are calculating the net electric field. It is a distance of 2.0 cm from the origin or reference point.

5. How does the net electric field at x = +2.0 cm affect a charged particle placed at that point?

The net electric field at x = +2.0 cm determines the direction and magnitude of the force that would act on a charged particle placed at that point. The particle would experience a force in the direction of the net electric field, with a magnitude determined by the strength of the net electric field.