What is the phase difference between the two radio waves

In summary, the phase difference between the waves produced by the path difference is 2pi/lamda*(r_2 - r_1).
sghaussi
Hello, I am having difficulty answering the following problem:

consider two antennas, separated by X meters that radiate in phase at f. A reciever placed 150 m from both antennas measures an intensity I_o. The reciever is moved so that it is 1.8 m closer to one antenna than ot the other.

What is the phase difference between the two radio waves produced by the path difference?

okay. so I know i want to use the formula: phase diff = 2pi/lamda*(r_2 - r_1)

i was able to calculate lamda, however I'm not sure about the path difference. Would that be my 1.8 m?? or is there trig involved here in order to figure out r_2 - r_1 ??

Physics news on Phys.org
sghaussi said:
Hello, I am having difficulty answering the following problem:

consider two antennas, separated by X meters that radiate in phase at f. A reciever placed 150 m from both antennas measures an intensity I_o. The reciever is moved so that it is 1.8 m closer to one antenna than ot the other.

What is the phase difference between the two radio waves produced by the path difference?

okay. so I know i want to use the formula: phase diff = 2pi/lamda*(r_2 - r_1)

i was able to calculate lamda, however I'm not sure about the path difference. Would that be my 1.8 m?? or is there trig involved here in order to figure out r_2 - r_1 ??

The reciever is moved so that it is 1.8 m closer to one antenna than to the other.

so does that mean it is hte path difference?

do I use trig here or is hte phase difference already given?

sghaussi said:
so does that mean it is hte path difference?

Do you understand what r_1 and r_2 are? They are not just letters in a formula. They represent two distances. They are:

r_1 = distance to antenna 1 from the location where you are receiving the wave

r_2 = distance to antenna 2 from the location where you are receiving the wave

If you are 1.8m closer to one antenna than you are to the other, what must r_2 - r_1 be?

You need to ponder this question until you figure out the answer. It will do you no good for someone to give you the direct answer you want about needing or not needing to apply trig.

1. What is the phase difference between the two radio waves?

The phase difference between two radio waves refers to the difference in the starting point of their respective wave cycles. This difference is measured in degrees or radians and can determine the relationship between the two waves.

2. How is the phase difference between radio waves measured?

The phase difference between radio waves is typically measured using an oscilloscope, which displays the amplitude and phase of the waves. The phase difference can also be calculated mathematically using the frequency and wavelength of the waves.

3. What is the significance of the phase difference between radio waves?

The phase difference between radio waves can indicate the direction and distance of a source, as well as the type of modulation used in the transmission. It is also important in understanding interference patterns and signal processing.

4. Can the phase difference between radio waves change?

Yes, the phase difference between radio waves can change due to factors such as atmospheric conditions, distance between the source and receiver, and reflections or obstructions in the signal path. It can also change if the waves are modulated or manipulated in some way.

5. How does the phase difference between radio waves affect communication?

The phase difference between radio waves can impact the quality and reliability of communication. In some cases, a specific phase difference may be necessary for successful transmission and reception. Additionally, knowledge of the phase difference can help with signal processing and reducing interference.