What is the role of torque in rotational motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of angular speed and torque in the context of a centrifuge experiment. It also clarifies the meaning of Mz and the role of forces in creating torque. The main points are that angular speed does not cause rotation but is a result of torque, and Mz is the torque needed to accelerate the test tube's angular velocity. The discussion also touches on the importance of considering all forces and reactions when drawing a free-body diagram.
eterna

Homework Statement

http://postimg.org/image/mzdo4kp7b/

wouldn't the initial angular speed of 50rad/s cause some rotation about the axis at B (so shouldn't the FBD include a torque about B?)

http://postimg.org/image/nad9b9rqn/
And in this question, I don't know what Mz is. Is it due to the angular speed of 60000rpm?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. An angular speed doesn't cause a rotation, it is a rotation- itself caused by a torque.

2. It looks like the 2nd sketch shows a FBD in plan. In that case Mz is the moment or torque caused by the inertia of the test tube contents. Again, an angular speed does not cause a torque but an angular acceleration does. What's missing is the reactions of the clamp that holds the test tube in place in the centrifuge.

eterna said:
wouldn't the initial angular speed of 50rad/s cause some rotation about the axis at B (so shouldn't the FBD include a torque about B?)
It does create a torque on the wall+floor system. When allowed to touch the ground, it will cause a horizontal frictional force on the ground, towards the wall, and an equal and opposite horizontal force on the hinge at the wall. It cannot create a torque on itself.
http://postimg.org/image/nad9b9rqn/
And in this question, I don't know what Mz is. Is it due to the angular speed of 60000rpm?
As paisiello2 says, it's the torque required to achieve the angular acceleration the tube undergoes. You need to compute that acceleration.
paisiello2 said:
What's missing is the reactions of the clamp that holds the test tube in place in the centrifuge.
I don't understand that comment. The question asks for net force and torque. It doesn't care how that is applied physically.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was referring to the FBD. The value of Mz will depend on where the forces are applied.

paisiello2 said:
I was referring to the FBD. The value of Mz will depend on where the forces are applied.
No, it's the net torque required to make the test tube's angular velocity increase at a certain rate. It is independent of where the forces are applied. They might be large forces along lines that are close together, or smaller forces on lines that are further apart.

I understand what you are saying now. I was confused by a FBD that only showed the resultant forces. I usually expect to see all the forces acting on the body.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force on an object. It is the product of the force applied to an object and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque different from force?

While both torque and force involve the application of a force, torque involves a rotational motion, while force involves a linear motion. Torque is also dependent on the distance from the axis of rotation, while force is not.

3. What are some examples of torque in everyday life?

Some examples of torque in everyday life include turning a doorknob, using a wrench to loosen a bolt, or opening a jar lid. In all of these cases, the force applied to the object creates a rotational motion.

4. How is torque calculated?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force applied to an object and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance.

5. Why is torque an important concept in science?

Torque is an important concept in science because it helps us understand how forces can create rotational motion. This is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics, where understanding how objects move and interact with each other is essential.