What is the temperature of the gas?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the temperature of a gas with 8.00×10^19 atoms/molecules and 0.500 J of thermal energy using the molar specific heat at constant pressure of 20.8 J/mol K. After dividing the number of atoms/molecules by Avogadro's constant and using the equation T = 0.5/(N*specific heat), a temperature of 181 K was calculated, but it was found to be incorrect. The correct value was found by using the molar specific heat at constant volume (Cv) instead. The process of finding Cv was left for the listener to figure out.
Bigworldjust

Homework Statement

A gas of 8.00×10^19 atoms or molecules has 0.500 J of thermal energy. Its molar specific heat at constant pressure is 20.8 J/mol K.

Homework Equations

T = 0.5/(N*specific heat)

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided 8.00*10^19 by Avogadro's Constant to get the number of moles. Than I did .5/(N*20.8 J/mol K) and got 181 K. But that seems to be incorrect. Anyone know why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why does it seem incorrect?

Edit: The molar heat at constant pressure is given!

ehild

Last edited:
You're using the wrong specific heat.

What specific heat do I use?

Use Cv.

ehild

Wait how do I calculate Cv?

That's something you need to figure out. The relationship between cp and cv is surely talked about in your textbook.

Thanks, I got it now.

Last edited:

1) What units are commonly used to measure gas temperature?

The most common units used to measure gas temperature are Celsius (°C), Fahrenheit (°F), and Kelvin (K).

2) How is gas temperature different from air temperature?

Gas temperature refers to the temperature of a substance in its gaseous state, while air temperature specifically refers to the temperature of the Earth's atmosphere.

3) How does temperature affect the behavior of gas molecules?

Temperature affects the behavior of gas molecules by increasing their kinetic energy, causing them to move faster and collide more frequently.

4) Is there a maximum temperature for a gas?

There is no maximum temperature for a gas. As temperature increases, gas molecules continue to gain kinetic energy and move faster.

5) What factors can influence the temperature of a gas?

The temperature of a gas can be influenced by factors such as pressure, volume, and the amount of heat added or removed from the system.