What is the Door-Like Module Used in Bunker Building?

• Construction
  • Thread starter YoungPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hinge
In summary, the bunker building video features the use of a door module, similar to a duct access door, as the bunker's entrance. This door is made by a company called "Diall" and can be purchased from the website provided. However, before attempting to build this bunker, there are a few safety concerns that should be addressed, such as the danger of digging a deep hole, the risk of water intrusion, and the lack of ventilation. Additionally, the materials used in the construction of this bunker may not be strong enough or suitable for long-term use. Overall, this video should be viewed as entertainment rather than a realistic guide for constructing a functional and safe bunker.
YoungPhysicist
Insights Author
In this bunker building video,they use a door like module to make the bunker’s entrance.What exactly is that called?And where can I buy it?

I can’t clearly see what that is,only knowing it is made by a companie “Diall”

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks similar to a duct access door. http://www.ruskin.com/category/10~Access-Doors

Before you go and build this, I should point out some things:
1) Digging a hole this deep and getting in and out can be very dangerous, depending on the stability and moisture levels of the soil. Straight vertical walls require bracing/shoring to be sure the sides don't fall into the center of the hole. If a couple of tons of dirt cave-in on a person in the bottom, it is almost impossible to remove them from the hole before they are severely injured or killed. OSHA Trenching and excavation standards. If you can't make the excavation safely, I would discourage doing it at all. I am surprised this video is allowed to stay up considering the hazard level, and they make no provision to prevent future wall collapse that will crush the bunker.
2) This hole will fill with water if it rains. It will percolate through the dirt around the bunker and seep from the walls. Making it watertight while preventing it from floating out of the hole full of water will be something to work on. Also, when wet, the chance for soil collapse gets much higher.
3) There is no provision for ventilation for the person entering. Suffocation in the box is a real concern. Gas present in the ground can accumulate in the closed bunker.

Please view this video as a cute TV show, rather than a real means to construct a bunker. It is obvious they are trying to get views, rather than show something actually safe, effective, or functional. They make no structural provision for soil collapse, there is inadequate attention given to water intrusion, and there is zero attention given to ventilation. There are tons of other things they are doing that are terribly unsafe (working in a hole without means to get out, sliding into the hole off the side, etc.). They are quite fortunate that they are in a place with somewhat cohesive soil. When it rains heavily, this bunker will be a soaked, muddy, mess.

I would suggest going a different route.

Likes Nik_2213, DrClaude, dlgoff and 7 others
+1

They line it with particle board! That's totally inadequate strength wise and goes soggy when wet like Weatabix. They even use it for the roof which you can see bend when he emerges at the start of the video.

I think the door is actually a manhole cover normally use for drain/sewer access. Possibly intended for indoor use with tiled floors although I've seen better versions. That one looks to have an aluminium rather than steel frame?

The whole thing is no better than a film prop. Hope they filled it in after they made the video or someone might fall in after the first rain shower.

Likes Nik_2213, dlgoff, YoungPhysicist and 3 others
CWatters said:
soggy when wet like Weatabix

I had to look that up
220px-Weetabixinbowl.jpg
. That stuff does bear a striking resemblance to particle board. I'd have said "soggy when wet like Raisin Bran".:smile:

Attachments

• 220px-Weetabixinbowl.jpg
    220px-Weetabixinbowl.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 590
Likes DrClaude
ChemAir said:
Please view this video as a cute TV show, rather than a real means to construct a bunker. It is obvious they are trying to get views, rather than show something actually safe, effective, or functional.
"Functional"...

Too small to lie down in!

ChemAir said:
It looks similar to a duct access door. http://www.ruskin.com/category/10~Access-Doors

Before you go and build this, I should point out some things:
1) Digging a hole this deep and getting in and out can be very dangerous, depending on the stability and moisture levels of the soil. Straight vertical walls require bracing/shoring to be sure the sides don't fall into the center of the hole. If a couple of tons of dirt cave-in on a person in the bottom, it is almost impossible to remove them from the hole before they are severely injured or killed. OSHA Trenching and excavation standards. If you can't make the excavation safely, I would discourage doing it at all. I am surprised this video is allowed to stay up considering the hazard level, and they make no provision to prevent future wall collapse that will crush the bunker.
2) This hole will fill with water if it rains. It will percolate through the dirt around the bunker and seep from the walls. Making it watertight while preventing it from floating out of the hole full of water will be something to work on. Also, when wet, the chance for soil collapse gets much higher.
3) There is no provision for ventilation for the person entering. Suffocation in the box is a real concern. Gas present in the ground can accumulate in the closed bunker.

Please view this video as a cute TV show, rather than a real means to construct a bunker. It is obvious they are trying to get views, rather than show something actually safe, effective, or functional. They make no structural provision for soil collapse, there is inadequate attention given to water intrusion, and there is zero attention given to ventilation. There are tons of other things they are doing that are terribly unsafe (working in a hole without means to get out, sliding into the hole off the side, etc.). They are quite fortunate that they are in a place with somewhat cohesive soil. When it rains heavily, this bunker will be a soaked, muddy, mess.

I would suggest going a different route.

Yeah,I was going to use contrete and bricks to make the lining of the hole.And I am not intending to dig a hole that deep.My plan is around 1.8 meters.

First I was going to do the same thing, But just like what you have said,there is a video on their channel showing that after a couple months, the wooden panels on the side had severely deformed.That is why I am going for the brick and concrete solution.

Likes Nik_2213
Young physicist said:
Yeah,I was going to use contrete and bricks to make the lining of the hole.And I am not intending to dig a hole that deep.My plan is around 1.8 meters.

First I was going to do the same thing, But just like what you have said,there is a video on their channel showing that after a couple months, the wooden panels on the side had severely deformed.That is why I am going for the brick and concrete solution.

Brick and concrete can be porous. You also need to investigate tanking systems as used for basements/cellars.

I'm sure there are plenty of other forums that have a 1000 other things to think about. You should start by working out how long you might have to be down there.

CWatters said:
You should start by working out how long you might have to be down there.
Indeed. One needs a little air once in a while.

Well, you've been warned. @Young physicist, if you want to get old, don't do this.

Likes russ_watters
Young physicist said:
I was going to use contrete and bricks
Please consult with a qualified engineer who is in the building industry and has some experience with basements.There are just too many things with this what will go very wrong if done poorly

We has a kind of similar hole for the water meter (came with the house), built from brick and concrete: just ~ 120cm deep, and it is already clear that bricks are just no good. We will have to redo the whole thing soon.

Likes Nik_2213 and russ_watters
Likes russ_watters
Tom.G said:
Well, you've been warned. @Young physicist, if you want to get old, don't do this.
Yes, this is getting dangerous. Thread closed.

Likes jim hardy, russ_watters and berkeman

1. What is the purpose of this door-like thing?

The purpose of this door-like thing is to serve as an entryway or barrier between two spaces, allowing for the control of access and the separation of different areas.

2. How does this door-like thing work?

This door-like thing typically operates by using a hinge or sliding mechanism to open and close, allowing individuals to pass through and then closing to prevent entry from others.

3. What materials are commonly used to make this door-like thing?

Doors can be made from a variety of materials, including wood, metal, glass, and plastic. The choice of material often depends on the desired functionality, appearance, and budget.

4. How long have door-like things been in use?

The concept of a door has been around for thousands of years, with evidence of doors being used in ancient civilizations such as Egypt and Greece. The modern door design that we are familiar with today dates back to the 19th century.

5. What is the difference between a door and a door-like thing?

Technically, there is no difference between a door and a door-like thing. The term "door-like thing" is simply a colloquial way of referring to an object that serves the same function as a traditional door but may not necessarily fit the typical definition of a door.