Calculating Net Work with Friction on a Long Shish Kebab Delivery

In summary, to calculate the net work done on the cart and its contents during delivery, use the formula Wnet = Fnet(d), where Fnet is the net force in the direction of motion and d is the distance traveled. Make sure to include the force of friction in your calculations.
duckywucky

Homework Statement

The longest shish kebab ever made was 881.0 m long. Suppose the meat and vegetables need to be delivered in a cart from one end of this shish kebab’s skewer to the other end. A cook pulls the cart by applying a force of 40.00 N at an angle of 45.00° above the horizontal. If the force of friction acting on the cart is 28.00 N, what is the net work done on the cart and its contents during the delivery?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would i use the formula: Wnet = Fnet(d)(Cos)? If so, then what do i look for?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the force applied is constant, it is a simple equation of W=F*d. You do need to be careful that you are using the correct force. Remember that you need the force in the direction of motion.

So how would i set up the formula?
W = (40.0N)(...)

It is not 40N because that is the force at 45 degrees to the direction of motion. You want the force in the direction of motion. So first you need to find whether you multiply 40 by sin or cos. Which one gives you the x component? Then multiply by the distance you need to travel.

Okay, that helps!
What would i do with the friction force?!

duckywucky said:
Okay, that helps!
What would i do with the friction force?!
The problem is asking for the NET work done. That includes the work done by ALL forces. Calculate the work done by ALL forces to find the net work done.

Sorry. I missed the part about the friction. In which case, do what PhantomJay said.

What is net work?

Net work is the total amount of work that is done on an object. It takes into account the direction and magnitude of the force applied to an object and the distance the object moves in response to that force.

How is net work calculated?

Net work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for net work is W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

What is the unit of measurement for net work?

The unit of measurement for net work is joules (J). This is equivalent to a Newton-meter (N*m), where N is the unit for force and m is the unit for distance.

What is the difference between positive and negative net work?

Positive net work occurs when the force applied to an object and its displacement are in the same direction. This results in the object gaining kinetic energy. Negative net work occurs when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a decrease in the object's kinetic energy.

What is the significance of net work in physics?

Net work is an important concept in physics as it is a measure of the change in an object's kinetic energy. It helps us understand how forces affect the motion of objects and is a fundamental principle in many areas of physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.