Why does typing in google.com redirect to google.com/ig?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, when typing in "google.com," the website redirects to google.com/ig, possibly due to being signed into Gmail or Google's new personalized page feature using cookies.
Mk
When I type in "google.com"

When I type in "google.com" into over yonder address bar, it redirects to google.com/ig! Is this because I am signed into Gmail, or because google is pushing their homepage thing now?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't know. I just tried it and didn't have it do that. Are you sure you didn't just visit that site recently and it's automatically filling in as you type the address?

I think its because a cookie is telling Google that you have an account there via gmail.

It's part of google's new personalized page feature - I get that now that I have a gmail account and I'm cookie'd.

Related to Why does typing in google.com redirect to google.com/ig?

1. Why is google.com the most popular search engine?

Google.com is the most popular search engine because it has a powerful and efficient algorithm that delivers accurate and relevant search results. It also offers a simple and user-friendly interface, making it easy for people to use.

2. How does google.com rank search results?

Google.com uses a complex algorithm that takes into account various factors such as the relevance and quality of the content, the popularity and authority of the website, and the user's search history and location. It also regularly updates and improves its algorithm to provide the most accurate and useful search results.

3. Can google.com be used for more than just searching?

Yes, google.com offers a wide range of services and products such as Google Maps, Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Calendar. It also has various tools for businesses and developers, making it a versatile platform for many different purposes.

4. Is google.com safe to use?

Google.com takes security and privacy very seriously. It uses encryption and other security measures to protect user data and regularly updates its systems to prevent any potential threats. However, it is always important to use caution when sharing personal information online.

5. How does google.com handle user data?

Google.com collects and stores user data to improve its services and provide more personalized search results. However, it allows users to control and manage their data and offers transparency regarding its data collection practices. Additionally, it has strict privacy policies in place to protect user data from being shared or sold to third parties without consent.