Applications of Wedge-Product and Differential Forms

In this case, it is a rank p anti-symmetric tensor.In summary, the use of wedge-product and differential forms in textbooks on GR and SR may seem unnecessary at first, but they are actually important and useful concepts that allow for a coordinate-free approach to differentiation and are used extensively in physics. Examples of their applications include Stokes' theorem, volume calculations, electromagnetism, curvature and Bianchi identities, and mechanics. Some textbooks that use these concepts include Misner, Thorne, Wheeler's "Gravitation" and Tevian Dray's "Differential Forms and the Geometry of General Relativity".
davidge
Hi everyone. In reading some popular textbooks I noticed that in (maybe) most of GR and SR we don't encounter situations where we can use wedge-product and differential forms. However, these things are presented to us in most of the textbooks. But... if most of the books present them, it means that they are important and useful, I think... So maybe what I've read on GR and SR is "nothing" compared to the existing material. Thus I would like to know some applications of the wedge-product and the differential forms. Can someone write down a list containing some topics where they are useful (or even essential)?

Physics news on Phys.org
davidge said:
Hi everyone. In reading some popular textbooks I noticed that in (maybe) most of GR and SR we don't encounter situations where we can use wedge-product and differential forms. However, these things are presented to us in most of the textbooks. But... if most of the books present them, it means that they are important and useful, I think... So maybe what I've read on GR and SR is "nothing" compared to the existing material. Thus I would like to know some applications of the wedge-product and the differential forms. Can someone write down a list containing some topics where they are useful (or even essential)?
Stokes theorem.
Volume calculations.
Poincaré's Lemma.

Every time you write a ##d## in front of an object, you probably deal with a differential form. Therefore pretty much the entire physics can be expressed by differential forms. The wedge product together with the tensor product are the universal concepts to deal with vector spaces that allow a multiplication of some kind. In the end they only represent a coordinate free way of dealing with differentiation. Historically and naturally in physics, equations are expressed by coordinates. The general principles behind are often differential forms.

Likes davidge
Electromagnetism
Curvature , Bianchi identities
Mechanics (angular momentum, torque)

Likes davidge
fresh_42 said:
Stokes theorem.
I would like to underline this. As a physics student, the divergence theorem, curl theorem, Green's formula in the plane, and the line integral of a gradienr are things you will be unable to get anywhere without. They are all just special cases of Stokes' theorem and whenever you are applying any of them you are likely using differential forms without realising it.

Likes davidge
A textbook, where Cartan calculus is used in GR is Misner, Thorne, Wheeler.

Likes davidge
Thanks to everyone who replied here. I committed a mistake. I would actually ask for p-forms instead of differential forms!
I would like to see a explicit example on General Relativity where one need to use p-forms to solve a particular problem and another example where one need to use wedge-product.

What's the difference? Doesn't the p simply indicate the rank of the differential form?

As an example, apart from the ones already mentioned: a Lagrangian can be seen as an integrand and as such as a 4-form in four dimensions. If you use Wald's "black hole entropy as a Noether charge of diffeomorphisms", you can use nice geometric identities linking Lie- and exterior derivatives of differential forms.

Likes vanhees71
haushofer said:
What's the difference? Doesn't the p simply indicate the rank of the differential form?
I thought a p-form was a totally anti-symmetric tensor

haushofer said:

davidge said:
Maybe the distinction is analogous to a vector vs. a vector-field?
Maybe you are interested in the exterior-algebraic properties alone... and not about exterior-calculus.

You might want to poke around here:

http://physics.oregonstate.edu/coursewikis/GDF/book/gdf/start
http://physics.oregonstate.edu/coursewikis/GGR/book/ggr/start
which are preprint versions of
Tevian Dray's book " Differential Forms and the Geometry of General Relativity": http://physics.oregonstate.edu/coursewikis/DFGGR/bookinfo/

Likes davidge
robphy said:
Maybe the distinction is analogous to a vector vs. a vector-field?
Yes :smile:
Thank you. I will read the content on these pages.

davidge said:

So is a differential form. The term p-form, as Haushofer said, simply draws attention to the rank, p, of the tensor.

Likes davidge

1. What are some real-world applications of wedge-product and differential forms?

The wedge-product and differential forms have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. Some examples include their use in electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and differential geometry.

2. How are wedge-product and differential forms used in electromagnetism?

In electromagnetism, wedge-product and differential forms are used to express Maxwell's equations in a concise and elegant way. They also help in understanding the physical meaning of the equations and their geometric interpretation.

3. What is the advantage of using wedge-product and differential forms in fluid mechanics?

Wedge-product and differential forms allow for a simplified and unified approach to solving problems in fluid mechanics. They also help in understanding the underlying geometric structure of fluid flow and its relation to vector calculus.

4. How are wedge-product and differential forms used in differential geometry?

In differential geometry, wedge-product and differential forms are used extensively to study the properties of manifolds and their curvature. They also play a crucial role in formulating the famous Gauss-Bonnet theorem.

5. Are there any practical applications of wedge-product and differential forms in everyday life?

While the applications of wedge-product and differential forms may seem abstract, they have practical implications in fields such as computer graphics, computer vision, and robotics. These mathematical tools help in solving problems related to motion planning, shape analysis, and image processing.