Where to look for consulting on small fracture calculation project?

In summary, I'm looking for a simple, do-it-yourself approach to calculating how far a fracture can propagate, preferably using widely available software.
bumblebee77
I don't know if this is the right forum to be asking this question... Please feel free to redirect me if not.

I want to calculate how far a fracture can propagate as part of a project I'm doing. The system is not so simple and I have never dealt with stress analysis and fracturing before. I want to hire someone to get me started, but don't know where to look for people. Does anyone have any ideas? It would probably be very simple for someone experienced.

I know enough to know that this kind of problem can be very challenging to deal with, but I'm looking for a very simple approach to start with that makes basic physical sense and that doesn't require expensive, specialized software. I have found a couple of approaches in papers that seem worthwhile (and possible to set up using widely available tools like EXCEL, Matlab, C++, etc), but I would need help with making sure. Or I would be open to alternative approaches. In the future, I would be interested in implementing any calculations in C++ and/or OpenFoam code that I have set up for fluid flow, so it would be a bonus, but not necessary, to find someone who knows about C++ or Matlab or OpenFoam code that is already available.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
bumblebee77 said:
I don't know if this is the right forum to be asking this question... Please feel free to redirect me if not.

I want to calculate how far a fracture can propagate as part of a project I'm doing. The system is not so simple and I have never dealt with stress analysis and fracturing before. I want to hire someone to get me started, but don't know where to look for people. Does anyone have any ideas? It would probably be very simple for someone experienced.

I know enough to know that this kind of problem can be very challenging to deal with, but I'm looking for a very simple approach to start with that makes basic physical sense and that doesn't require expensive, specialized software. I have found a couple of approaches in papers that seem worthwhile (and possible to set up using widely available tools like EXCEL, Matlab, C++, etc), but I would need help with making sure. Or I would be open to alternative approaches. In the future, I would be interested in implementing any calculations in C++ and/or OpenFoam code that I have set up for fluid flow, so it would be a bonus, but not necessary, to find someone who knows about C++ or Matlab or OpenFoam code that is already available.

What city are you in? You should be able to do an online search for professional consulting MEs, I would think. Alternately, are there any universities near you? You could contact their ME department to see if any of the professors do any consulting...

Likes 1 person
Thank you, Berkeman. I have searched extensively for consultants, but have been surprised to find that few do this kind of work. Most consultants--even professors--seem to be attached to large companies that only deal with very large contracts or they prefer to do independent legal consulting for court cases. I have been wondering if there's some dedicated forum where mechanical engineers congregate and advertise this sort of thing, but I haven't found anything.

1. Where can I find consulting services for a small fracture calculation project?

There are several ways to find consulting services for a small fracture calculation project. You can search online for consulting firms or individual consultants in this field. Additionally, you can ask for recommendations from colleagues or industry experts. Attending conferences or events related to fracture calculation can also help you connect with potential consultants.

2. How do I determine if a consulting service is suitable for my small fracture calculation project?

Before hiring a consulting service, it is important to thoroughly research their expertise and experience in the field of fracture calculation. You can ask for their portfolio or case studies of previous projects to get an idea of their capabilities. It is also helpful to schedule a consultation call or meeting to discuss your project in detail and determine if they are the right fit for your needs.

3. What qualifications should I look for in a consultant for a small fracture calculation project?

The ideal consultant for a small fracture calculation project should have a strong background in engineering or related fields, with specialized knowledge and experience in fracture mechanics. They should also have a thorough understanding of the latest industry standards and techniques for fracture calculation. Additionally, good communication and problem-solving skills are essential for effective consulting.

4. How much does consulting for a small fracture calculation project typically cost?

The cost of consulting for a small fracture calculation project can vary depending on several factors such as the complexity of the project, the consultant's experience and expertise, and the timeframe for completion. It is recommended to discuss the project scope and budget with potential consultants to get a clear understanding of their fees and services.

5. Can a consulting service assist with data analysis and interpretation for a small fracture calculation project?

Yes, consulting services for small fracture calculation projects often include data analysis and interpretation. Consultants are trained to analyze and interpret complex data sets to provide valuable insights and recommendations for your project. They can also assist with developing models and simulations to predict fracture behavior and optimize design solutions.