Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to look for consulting on small fracture calculation project?

  1. Aug 6, 2013 #1
    I don't know if this is the right forum to be asking this question... Please feel free to redirect me if not.

    I want to calculate how far a fracture can propagate as part of a project I'm doing. The system is not so simple and I have never dealt with stress analysis and fracturing before. I want to hire someone to get me started, but don't know where to look for people. Does anyone have any ideas? It would probably be very simple for someone experienced.

    I know enough to know that this kind of problem can be very challenging to deal with, but I'm looking for a very simple approach to start with that makes basic physical sense and that doesn't require expensive, specialized software. I have found a couple of approaches in papers that seem worthwhile (and possible to set up using widely available tools like EXCEL, Matlab, C++, etc), but I would need help with making sure. Or I would be open to alternative approaches. In the future, I would be interested in implementing any calculations in C++ and/or OpenFoam code that I have set up for fluid flow, so it would be a bonus, but not necessary, to find someone who knows about C++ or Matlab or OpenFoam code that is already available.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2013 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    What city are you in? You should be able to do an online search for professional consulting MEs, I would think. Alternately, are there any universities near you? You could contact their ME department to see if any of the professors do any consulting...
  4. Aug 6, 2013 #3
    Thank you, Berkeman. I have searched extensively for consultants, but have been surprised to find that few do this kind of work. Most consultants--even professors--seem to be attached to large companies that only deal with very large contracts or they prefer to do independent legal consulting for court cases. I have been wondering if there's some dedicated forum where mechanical engineers congregate and advertise this sort of thing, but I haven't found anything.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook