Which method would be wrong to use for gene expression?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of in situ hybridization to detect gene expression and the potential limitations of this technique. The speakers also consider the use of immunohistochemistry as an alternative method for detecting protein production.
SpiceDice
Homework Statement
Which of the following techniques is not appropriate if you want to examine whether a gene is expressed in a
specific tissue?

Select one alternative:
in situ hybridization
immunohistochemistry
microarray
RNA-Seq
Relevant Equations
Non
I've been struggling, no matter what I try to do I can't come up with a solution. The answer is in situ, but in my mind it would work perfectly fine. The only thing we would do is just use an RNA probe complementary to the gene we are trying to detect and it should light up the moment the gene is expressed.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that in situ hybridization to detect the mRNA transcripts from the gene of interest would work. The one reason I could see why they might say that ISH is the wrong technique to use is if they are referring to DNA detection by ISH (but because ISH can be used to detect either DNA or RNA, the question is not well stated if that is the reasoning they intended).

Likes BillTre
But if we use that reasoning would immunohistochemistry also be wrong since it detect protein production and not actual gene expression. A gene can still be expressed but does not have to produce protein.

1. What is the best method for measuring gene expression?

There is no one "best" method for measuring gene expression as it often depends on the specific research question and the type of samples being studied. Some commonly used methods include qPCR, microarrays, and RNA sequencing.

2. Is it possible to use a single method for all gene expression studies?

No, it is not recommended to use a single method for all gene expression studies. Different methods have different strengths and limitations, and it is important to choose the most appropriate method for the specific research question.

3. Can gene expression be accurately measured using only one sample?

No, gene expression should ideally be measured using multiple samples to account for natural variation and increase the reliability of the results. This is especially important for studies with small sample sizes.

4. Are there any methods that are considered "wrong" for measuring gene expression?

There are no inherently "wrong" methods for measuring gene expression, but certain methods may be more appropriate for different types of samples or research questions. It is important to carefully consider the advantages and limitations of each method before choosing one for a particular study.

5. Can gene expression be accurately measured using non-biological samples?

No, gene expression can only be accurately measured using biological samples such as cells, tissues, or bodily fluids. Non-biological samples do not contain genetic material and therefore cannot be used to measure gene expression.