Which of the following particles would have the shortest wavelength?

In summary, the De Broglie wavelength for nonrelativistic particles is determined by the ratio of Planck's constant to the square root of 2 times the mass and kinetic energy. Therefore, if all particles have the same kinetic energy, the one with the greater mass will have the shortest wavelength. This means that the alpha particle, with a greater mass than the electron, will have the shortest wavelength. This was confirmed by the person asking the question.
khamaar
which of the following particles would have shortest wavelength provided that all move with the same kinetic energy?

electron, proton, neutron, alpha paricle?

My professor said in class that it was alpha particle,

but i think its electron...

which one is right? and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your reasoning?

What determines the De Broglie wavelength?

For nonrelativistic particles the de Broglie wavelength is h/p = h/sqrt(2mE). So if the particle have the same kinetic energy, greater mass means smaller wavelength. Your professor is right, the alpha particle will have the smallest wavelength.

Thank you very much. I am infact startled at the fact that right after posting this question, i got back to my table and tried to re-calculate it...and it was the alpha particle...Strange isn't it?

Related to Which of the following particles would have the shortest wavelength?

1. What is the relationship between particle type and wavelength?

The type of particle determines the wavelength through the particle's energy, momentum, and mass. Higher energy particles have shorter wavelengths.

2. How does wavelength affect the behavior of particles?

Shorter wavelengths allow particles to behave more like waves, while longer wavelengths cause them to behave more like particles.

3. What is the shortest possible wavelength for a particle?

The shortest possible wavelength for a particle is the Planck length, which is approximately 1.6 x 10^-35 meters.

4. Which particle has the shortest wavelength?

Photons, which are particles of light, have the shortest possible wavelength in the electromagnetic spectrum.

5. Can particles with longer wavelengths be observed?

Yes, particles with longer wavelengths can still be observed using specialized equipment such as microscopes or telescopes.