Width measurements and conversions

In summary, the gap between tiles is 0.18 centimeters or 1800 micrometers. This is equivalent to 190 algae cells across.
Jdpaul88

Homework Statement

The tiles are 2 thumbnail-thicknesses apart. A thumbnail has a thickness of about 0.90 mm. An inch is exactly 2.54 centimeters. One algae cell is 9.45 micrometers across.

a. How wide is the gap between tiles in centimeters?
b. How wide is the gap in inches
c. How many algae-thicknesses is the gap between tiles

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First off, I just want to know if I did a and b correctly. To set up a, I took 0.90 mm x 2 to get 1.8 mm per gap. I then converted 1.8 millimeters in order to get to centimeters. I came up with 0.18 centimeters. For b, I just divided 0.18cm/2.54cm to get the answer in inches. As for c, I suppose I will just convert, what do you think about a and b so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jdpaul88 said:

Homework Statement

a. How wide is the gap between tiles in centimeters?
b. How wide is the gap in inches
c. How many algae-thicknesses is the gap between tiles

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First off, I just want to know if I did a and b correctly. To set up a, I took 0.90 mm x 2 to get 1.8 mm per gap. I then converted 1.8 millimeters in order to get to centimeters. I came up with 0.18 centimeters. For b, I just divided 0.18cm/2.54cm to get the answer in inches. As for c, I suppose I will just convert, what do you think about a and b so far?

A and B would be correct.

C is asking how many algae diameters across. That requires a unit-less ratio.

LowlyPion said:
A and B would be correct.

C is asking how many algae diameters across. That requires a unit-less ratio.

Couldn't I just convert 9.45 micrometers to centimeters and divide by 0.18 cm to get the thickness between the gaps in terms of algae thicknesses?

Jdpaul88 said:
Couldn't I just convert 9.45 micrometers to centimeters and divide by 0.18 cm to get the thickness between the gaps in terms of algae thicknesses?

The question asks for how many will fit across. You divide the algae width INTO the gap in the tile dimension. Of course you need to make sure your units are correct, so the gap distance should be in the same units as the algae width.

So I converted 0.18 centimeters to micrometers and got 1800 micrometers. So then, I just take 1800 micrometers divded by 9.45 micrometers to get how many will fit across? 1800/9.45. I came up with 190.476, but since I can only have two significant figures in my answer, it would be 190 algae cells. How does that sound?

1. What is the standard unit of measurement for width?

The standard unit of measurement for width is typically the meter (m) in the International System of Units (SI). However, other units such as centimeters (cm), millimeters (mm), and inches (in) are also commonly used.

2. How do I convert between different units of width?

To convert between different units of width, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from meters to centimeters, you can multiply the measurement in meters by 100. To convert from centimeters to millimeters, you can multiply by 10. It is important to keep track of the decimal places and units when performing conversions.

3. Why is it important to measure width accurately?

Accurate measurements of width are important in many fields of science, such as engineering, construction, and manufacturing. They are also important in everyday life, for example, when purchasing clothing or furniture. Accurate measurements ensure that products are made to the correct size and fit for their intended purpose.

4. What tools can I use to measure width?

The tools you can use to measure width depend on the size and precision required. Some common tools include rulers, tape measures, calipers, and micrometers. For larger measurements, a measuring wheel or laser distance measurer may be used. In scientific research, specialized instruments such as spectrophotometers or microscopes may be used to measure width.

5. How can I ensure my width measurements are precise and accurate?

To ensure precise and accurate width measurements, it is important to use the correct tools for the job and to follow proper measurement techniques. This includes making sure the measuring instrument is properly calibrated and taking multiple measurements to account for any potential errors. It is also important to record and report the units and decimal places used in the measurement to maintain consistency and avoid confusion.