Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,780 replies · 460K views
Wordle 1,134 3/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬› [FRITZ] 61 left
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬› [LENGS] filter word; 3 left: CHIDE JUICE WAIVE
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [JUICE] The trifecta: possible answer, filter word, and the more pleasing and appealing to my eyes!

I have now upgraded my script to include past answers. Without this, there would have been 113 left at the first guess (same filter word suggestion though) and 7 with the second one. This way, I would have most likely made it in 4.

Why the chosen first guess? The script now gives me one of the possible answers as a first guess (not including past answers). Therefore, having it in 1 guess is a possibility. Through the last few trials with the script, the first guess seems to be irrelevant to the outcome, especially with known past answers (as demonstrated here).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jack action said:
Why the chosen first guess? The script now gives me one of the possible answers as a first guess (not including past answers).
What criteria does the algorithm use for picking your first guess among all others?
 
kuruman said:
What criteria does the algorithm use for picking your first guess among all others?
Random. More precisely:
Bash:
shuf -n 1 futureanswerlist.txt
 
Wordle 1,135 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ [RALPH] 196 left
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›[NOISE] 4 left: GUSTO SMOCK SMOKY STOOD
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬› [SMOKY] Possible answer, filter word, and the more pleasing word. Wrong one this time.
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

When SMOKY is an option, how could anyone not be influenced by this:

tN2IxNDMzYTMyZmVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

All I could hear in my head was the banjo!
 
Wordle 1,135 2/6

🟩⬜🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 I picked the right one! To be honest I saw SMOKE and SMOCK but not SMOKY



jack action said:
Wordle 1,135 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ [RALPH] 196 left
I don't think proper names are valid words. OTOH, [RALPH] can be a verb, albeit slang.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: edwardII and fresh_42
jack action said:
Both have RALPH on them.
I would never have used RALPH as a guess. Apparently it is not as slangy as I thought. A quick check through the list you linked shows no "SUSAN" but does show "HARRY." Again, HARRY is a name but also a verb ("persistently carry out attacks on"). I will have to watch for that in the future.
 
Well this is weird. I tallied up all my seed words that I've used at least 5 times and BLARE came out with the best score.
weird is 2nd from worst as it was my seed when I first started this delightfully weird little game.
Also interesting is that Wordlebot's seed word of choice, SLATE, was 21st on my list.
SHADE provided my only legitimate hole in one.
There were 78 words used less than 5 times, 52 of which were used only once.

rankseed123456βˆ‘
ΞΌ​
Οƒ​
1BLARE32272.8570.8997
2SLICE192123.0830.5149
3SPARE3105183.1110.6764
4SHADE113493.1111.0541
5CRONE23383.1250.8345
6SAUCY13263.1670.7528
7SKIER13263.1670.7528
8STRAY15393.2220.6667
9HONEY151183.2500.8864
10ARISE5273.2860.4880
11AROSE1931143.2860.7263
12SUAVE127193.3680.4956
13SKATE5383.3750.5175
14DAIRY13483.3750.7440
15AIDER3253.4000.5477
16NOISE145103.4000.6992
17SHALE121122363.4170.6492
18SHARE4373.4290.5345
19SUITE4373.4290.5345
20DAISY12473.4290.7868
21SLATE41284283.4290.9201
22BRACE42511133.4621.2659
23SAUCE317201413.4630.6744
24TEARY310131273.4810.8490
25CRANE4483.5000.5345
26STARE4483.5000.5345
27SNORE52183.5000.7559
28SANER18142343.5290.6147
29MEATY3984243.5420.9315
30RAISE11675293.5520.8275
31ROAST134193.5560.8819
32LEANT3473.5710.5345
33GRACE42173.5710.7868
34CAGEY11074223.6360.8477
35SWORE125193.6670.8660
36SABRE123283.7501.0351
37SAFER773173.7650.7524
38FAIRY2273143.7860.9750
39SLIDE32163.8331.1690
40SOAPY33283.8750.8345
41SLIME352103.9000.7379
42SOBER13154.0000.7071
43WEIRD54811756182444.1390.8872
44POISE2354.6000.5477
 
Orodruin said:
Wordle 1 136 2/6

🟩🟩⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
I just realized, this finally put my all time mean below 4. I was at 4.5 at some point in the beginning before taking it a little more seriously and its taken time to correct.

Also

Wordle 1 137 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
Wordle 1,137 5/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬› [SILKY] 113 left
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨ [OVATE] filter: 11 left
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬› [PRAWN] filter: 2 left
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨ [LAGER] I felt it was drinking time somewhere in the world; apparently not!
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

That was a nasty one with this seed word. Tried it again with a new random seed word, SIREN (6 left), and I would have gotten it in 3 without any guessing or luck needed.
 
Wordle 1,137 3/6

🟨🟨⬜🟨🟨 LATER
🟨🟩🟨🟩⬜ RELAX
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My second guess seems kind of stupid, given the low frequency X, but it left me with *ERAL, which helps a lot.
 
gmax137 said:
Wordle 1,137 3/6

🟨🟨⬜🟨🟨 LATER
🟨🟩🟨🟩⬜ RELAX
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My second guess seems kind of stupid, given the low frequency X, but it left me with *ERAL, which helps a lot.
It wasn't stupid at all as you were left with 6 possible answers (FERAL GLARE PEARL RELAX RELAY RENAL). Not only your second guess was a possible answer, but it was also a filter word that left only one possibility, no matter which of the 5 other words would have been the answer.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gmax137 and OmCheeto