Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,780 replies · 460K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 1,141 2/6

πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬› [CLASP] 2 left: SCALE SCALY
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [SCALE] Looked more probable to be chosen by a human

I got tired of starting with weird words, containing unpopular letters, so I ran the program until one came up that contained more appropriate letters for a first guess. It paid off!
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Herman Trivilino and OmCheeto
Wordle 1,141 2/6

🟧🟦🟧⬜🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

jack action said:
Wordle 1,141 2/6

πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬› [CLASP] 2 left: SCALE SCALY
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [SCALE] Looked more probable to be chosen by a human

I got tired of starting with weird words, containing unpopular letters, so I ran the program until one came up that contained more appropriate letters for a first guess. It paid off!
I have stuck with the same seed word of most popular letters and it paid off for me too. Why do you bother asking the program give you a seed word if you are going to override it when and if the spirit moves you?
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Herman Trivilino
kuruman said:
Wordle 1,141 2/6

🟧🟦🟧⬜🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧


I have stuck with the same seed word of most popular letters and it paid off for me too. Why do you bother asking the program give you a seed word if you are going to override it when and if the spirit moves you?
The idea was to choose a seed word that was never used as an answer before to always have the possibility of getting it in one try.

I was also testing how well I could get to the answer quickly with any first guess. The last puzzles weren't as good as I would expected.

Technically, I should evaluate the occurrence of the letters in all possible answers to help me pick my first guess. Maybe in the future.
 
jack action said:
Technically, I should evaluate the occurrence of the letters in all possible answers to help me pick my first guess. Maybe in the future.
Like this?
Occurrences of letters in each position for known remaining solutions as of Aug 3, 2024.


letter12345
a701741448237
b93836165
c10321257612
d6813403461
e3513292185199
f715161913
g561404122
h356561470
i17119141847
j110210
k10572660
l47102688683
m5319413323
n2441789378
o261401137630
p8133273333
q121000
r591398569123
s2076559624
t77386575118
u1412187470
v24930240
w4625161611
x05715
y118113225
z119112

Using this chart, I generate the rankings of my seeds:
the 'm' columns indicate the count where the letter matches the position.
the 'c' columns indicate the count where the letter is contained somewhere in the word.
the ultimate 'score' is based on both sets of numbers multiplied by the square of the (unique letters)/5.
I've included some low ranking entries to indicate how although a word might have some high scoring letters, the fact that they use 3 'e's doesn't really help that much.

1234512345
rankwordmmmmmcccccscore(unique letters)/5
1​
saner​
207174781851233885073146434756162
1​
2​
sauce​
20717487761993885072692376435759
1​
3​
suite207121141751993882693683736435756
1​
4​
stare​
20738144691993883735074756435671
1​
5​
safer​
207174161851233885071246434755662
1​
6​
share20765144691993881905074756435623
1​
7​
shale​
20765144861993881905073866435619
1​
8​
arise70139141961995074753683886435606
1​
9​
sabre​
20717436691993885071584756435596
1​
10​
sable20717436861993885071583866435592
1​
11​
siren​
20711985185783883684756433145558
1​
12​
saucy20717487762253885072692372585504
1​
13​
sober207140361851233883851586434755504
1​
14​
soapy207140144332253883855072072585490
1​
15​
arose70139113961995074753853886435483
1​
16​
spare​
20733144691993882075074756435480
1​
17​
taser77174551851233735073886434755456
1​
18​
cagey103174401852252375071606432585440
1​
19​
slide​
207102141341993883863682166435416
1​
20​
sadly20717440862253885072163862585415
1​
547​
sleet​
207102921851183883866436433733809.9
0.8​
561​
spree20733851851993882074756436433776.6
0.8​
573​
scree20721851851993882374756436433757.4
0.8​
596​
cease103132144961992376435073886433704.3
0.8​
605​
steer20738921851233883736436434753678.1
0.8​
614​
erase35139144961996434755073886433661.4
0.8​
1168​
rarer59174851851234755074756434752053.8
0.6​
1170​
melee53132681851991696433866436432040.8
0.6​
1171​
tepee77132271851993736432076436432019.2
0.6​
1178​
eerie3513285841996436434753686431960.9
0.6​
1183​
freer71139921851231244756436434751947.6
0.6​
1188​
geese5613292961991606436433886431926.7
0.6​
1241​
mamma53174413337169507169169507513.8
0.4​
 
  • Informative
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: edwardII and jack action
kuruman said:
I have stuck with the same seed word of most popular letters and it paid off for me too.
I've gone the opposite route as of late. I now base my daily seed word on the previous days solution.
I set the limit at 100, but just passed 50, and I'm getting bored with this method.
So as always: adjusting knobs, looking at dials, scratching head, adjusting more knobs, repeat.....

soln game datesolutionnext days seed
8/1/2024chalksnore
7/31/2024penneartsy
7/30/2024feralscion
7/29/2024supertonal
7/28/2024smockaider
7/27/2024juicestray
7/26/2024awashprone
7/25/2024porchleast
7/24/2024fortesadly
 
Last edited:
Wordle 1,141 4/6

🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

jack action said:
[SCALE] Looked more probable to be chosen by a human
I agree, SCALY is more likely chosen by the Lizard People.
 
OmCheeto said:
and I'm getting bored with this method.
Have you tried Octordle? You have 13 tries to guess eight 5-letter words and the guesses are common to all. Finding the best common filter is much more challenging not to mention that used words can be reused. If you are looking for holes-in-one, Octordle is a better bet than Wordle.
 
kuruman said:
Have you tried Octordle?
I used to be an octordle junkie. In particular for the rescue puzzle … this reminded me of old times …

Daily Rescue Octordle #923
πŸ”ŸπŸ•š
5οΈβƒ£πŸ•›
9️⃣7️⃣
6️⃣8️⃣
Score: 9
 
Orodruin said:
I used to be an octordle junkie. In particular for the rescue puzzle … this reminded me of old times …

Daily Rescue Octordle #923
πŸ”ŸπŸ•š
5οΈβƒ£πŸ•›
9️⃣7️⃣
6️⃣8️⃣
Score: 9
Actually, you introduced me to octordle. Rescue mode is probably the funnest.

Daily Rescue Octordle #922
πŸ”ŸπŸ•š
5️⃣7️⃣
8️⃣9️⃣
6οΈβƒ£πŸ•
Score: 8
 
kuruman said:
Have you tried Octordle? You have 13 tries to guess eight 5-letter words and the guesses are common to all. Finding the best common filter is much more challenging not to mention that used words can be reused. If you are looking for holes-in-one, Octordle is a better bet than Wordle.
Just once, a long time ago:
2022.02.23.Wednesday
Daily Octordle #30
πŸŸ₯5️⃣
πŸŸ₯3️⃣
πŸ•šπŸ•
9️⃣7️⃣

back when lots of us were figuring out Wordle

2022.02.07.Monday

Solving Wordle using information theory
1,111,114 views
Feb 6, 2022
3Blue1Brown
4.28M subscribers

It looks like I also played 'Absurdle'
2022.01.23.Sunday
Absurdle 8/∞

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

tried
poach
bulge
assay
wavey
fanny
jammy
jazzy

This is the oldest evidence that I played Wordle about a month prior:

2022.01.16.Sunday
Wordle 211 5/6
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› weird
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› could
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨ royal
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ© molar
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 solar

Ha! What a newb.
 
Last edited:
Wordle 1,142 2/6

⬜🟦⬜⬜🟦 Standard seed, 30 left
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧 Filter consisting of 5 most frequent letters - dumb luck.
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: edwardII, OmCheeto, Herman Trivilino and 2 others
Wordle 1,142 4/6

🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜ REACH
⬜🟨⬜🟩⬜ GREEN
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩 SKIER
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 LOWER

Maybe one of you spreadsheet jockeys can tell me how many possibles I had after my third guess. I stare at the Wordle screen (which shows what letters are still in play) and LOWER just bubbles up in my mind. I don't know how that works. It is more mysterious to me than "picking" between two choices.
 
gmax137 said:
Wordle 1,142 4/6

🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜ REACH
⬜🟨⬜🟩⬜ GREEN
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩 SKIER
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 LOWER

Maybe one of you spreadsheet jockeys can tell me how many possibles I had after my third guess. I stare at the Wordle screen (which shows what letters are still in play) and LOWER just bubbles up in my mind. I don't know how that works. It is more mysterious to me than "picking" between two choices.
This is probably why I use a spreadsheet. Like you, I would see maybe two or three words out of the 23 words that you actually ended up having to choose from after your third guess:

wordgame # or β€˜not played’ = 0
bluer
0​
tower
0​
tuber
0​
buyer
0​
boxer
0​
mover
0​
mower
0​
purer
0​
otter
0​
odder
0​
upper
0​
udder
0​
offer
0​
lower
1142​
wooer
78​
foyer
304​
power
400​
voter
644​
utter
704​
flyer
759​
lover
781​
older
814​
outer
1058​
I included the already played solution words as you said you don't keep track of those.
 
OmCheeto said:
Like you, I would see maybe two or three words out of the 23 words that you actually ended up having to choose from after your third guess:
Thanks Om!
Wow I would not have guessed there were that many (23) possible words. But reading thru the list, they are all (or mostly) "obvious." I am surprised I didn't "see" them, and so it must be dumb luck that I did see the correct answer.
 
Just too many possibilities for a guy who has no strategy except a sometimes futile process of elimination.
Wordle 1,142 X/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟨🟩⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
gmax137 said:
Thanks Om!
Wow I would not have guessed there were that many (23) possible words. But reading thru the list, they are all (or mostly) "obvious." I am surprised I didn't "see" them, and so it must be dumb luck that I did see the correct answer.
I've often said to myself that this game is 95% dumb luck.
Doesn't take away from the fun though.
Ever play Roulette?
I've only played it once. Pretty sure it was Reno.
The best part of the game was interacting with my fellow gamblers.
Few other games were slow enough to have conversations.
Reminds me of the last concert I went to: Roger Waters
While the concert was up to my standards of brilliance, the couple behind me, from Algeria* and France made the event 10 times more pleasurable.
Connecting with people from around the world, with commonalities in thoughts..... <3
....
Don't get me going....

*It may have been Tunisia. Although I'm moderately well versed on where all the countries of world are, my dyslexia will booger the answer, 9 times out of 10.
 
dwarde said:
Just too many possibilities for a guy who has no strategy except a sometimes futile process of elimination.
Wordle 1,142 X/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟨🟩⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
Just a minor background check on myself as to why I ended up not playing like this.

I used to be a nuclear power plant operator.
One mistake, and, BOOM!
Several god knows how many billion of dollars down the drain and 8 billion people pissed at me.

Hence, why I play in what I call 'safe mode' , much of the time.
 
dwarde said:
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
This is when many times it is better to use a pure filter word rather than try to just fill in the blanks. That is, you pick a word that cannot be the solution, but it will filter out (preferably at least) four letters in one guess.
 
dwarde said:
Just too many possibilities for a guy who has no strategy except a sometimes futile process of elimination.
Wordle 1,142 X/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟨🟩⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
If you have degeneracies, i.e. a pattern that admits many solutions, it is not a good strategy to guess the missing letters because there is a good chance to run out of guesses. A better strategy is what we have been discussing here, (a) write down all the candidates that fit your particular pattern (you will need the list of eligible words for this) and (b) design a filter that will discriminate among most of the candidates, preferably all.

For example, say that the letters in the first occurrence of your pattern ⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩 , were _ L _ T E (not the actual letters in 1,142). There are 5 candidates ELATE, ELITE, FLUTE, PLATE, SLATE and only 3 guesses left. If you enter them alphabetically and the answer is PLATE or SLATE, you are out of luck.
Instead, you enter PAUSE as a guess 4 filter. This works because
  1. If the answer is PLATE, then P should appear as correct in position 1 and A as somewhere but not in position 2.
  2. If the answer is ELATE, then A should appear as somewhere but not in position 2.
  3. If the answer is SLATE, then A and S should appear as somewhere but not in respective positions 2 and 4.
  4. If the answer is FLUTE, then U should appear as somewhere but not correct in position 3.
  5. If no new filter letters appear, then the answer is ELITE.
Thus, the filter removes the fivefold degeneracy and guarantees a solution in 5 guesses.
 
Last edited:
kuruman said:
If the answer is FLUTE, then U should appear as somewhere but not in position 3.
U is in position 3 in both PAUSE and FLUTE … πŸ€”
 
Orodruin said:
U is in position 3 in both PAUSE and FLUTE … πŸ€”
Of course. I edited this message many times before posting and lost track of what's where. However, in this case it doesn't matter because U appears only in FLUTE and one can get it right even when one cannot count to 5 like me.