Compute Work Done by Air: 103kPa to 101.3kPa

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the expansion and cooling of a gas. The initial volume is 0.140 m^3 and the gauge pressure is 103.0 kPa. The gas is then expanded isothermally to a pressure of 101.3 kPa and cooled at constant pressure until it reaches its initial volume. The task is to compute the work done by the gas in this process. The solution involves using the equation \sum W=W_{12}+W_{23} and calculating W_{12} and W_{23} separately. However, there seems to be some confusion about the correct formula to use and the final answer does not match the answer given in the text. The person is
Saladsamurai
`Air that initially occupies [itex].140 m^3[/itex] at a gauge pressure of 103.0 kPa is expanded isothermally to a pressure of 101.3 kPa and then cooled at constant pressure until it reaches its initial volume.

Compute the work done by the air. (Gauge pressure is the difference between the actual pressure and atmospheric pressure.)

So I am going with [tex]\sum W=W_{12}+W_{23}[/tex]

1-->2 is isothermal so [tex]W_{12}=nRT\ln\frac{V_2}{V_1}[/tex](1)
to find [itex]V_2[/itex] I used [itex]V_2=\frac{p_1}{p_2}*V_1[/itex]. I think I need to use absolute pressure though.

So [tex]V_2=\frac{103*10^3+1.0*10^5}{101.3*10^3+1.0*10^5}*0.14 m^3=0.1412 m^3[/tex]

So from (1) and using the fact that [itex]p_1V_1=nRT[/itex] I get [itex]W_{12}=p_1V_1\ln\frac{.1412}{.14}=(103*10^3+1.0*10^5)(.14)\ln\frac{.1412}{.14}=243 J[/itex]

From2-->3 since pressure is constant I used [itex]W_{23}=p*\Delta V=(101.3*10^3+1.0*10^3)(.14-.1412)=-242 J[/itex]

So [itex]\sum W=-242+243= 1 J[/itex]

The answer in the text is 5.6 kJ !

Where is my error(s)?!

Thanks,
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
I know it is a lot to go through, but I would appreciate a hand. I have my final tomorrow and I thought I understood this perfectly fine.

Any help is appreciated!
Casey

So I have gone over this again today and I still do not know where my mistake is? Nobody else can see it either? This thread has been up for 3 days...I thought it was pretty well-organized?

Casey

1. What does "Compute Work Done by Air: 103kPa to 101.3kPa" mean?

This phrase refers to calculating the amount of work that is done by air as it moves from a pressure of 103 kilopascals (kPa) to a pressure of 101.3 kPa. Work is a measure of the energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move a certain distance. In this case, the air is the object being moved and the change in pressure is the force applied.

2. Why is it important to compute work done by air?

Computing work done by air can help us understand the amount of energy being transferred and the efficiency of a system. For example, in a compressor or turbine, knowing the work done by the air can help us determine the power output and potential areas for improvement. It is also important in thermodynamics and fluid mechanics calculations.

3. How is work done by air calculated?

Work done by air can be calculated by multiplying the change in pressure by the change in volume. This is represented by the equation W = PΔV, where W is work, P is pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume. The units for work are typically joules (J) or newton-meters (N·m).

4. Can work done by air be negative?

Yes, work done by air can be negative. This occurs when the air is expanding and the change in volume is positive, but the pressure is decreasing. In this case, the work done by the air is considered to be negative because the air is doing work on its surroundings rather than the other way around.

5. What is the significance of the change in pressure from 103kPa to 101.3kPa?

The change in pressure from 103 kPa to 101.3 kPa is significant because it represents a change in the air's state. This could be due to compression, expansion, or a change in altitude. This change in pressure can also affect the temperature and density of the air, which can have implications in various applications such as in engines, pumps, and HVAC systems.