How Much Work to Compress a Spring Further by 7cm?

In summary, in order to compress the spring by an additional 7cm, an additional 40J of work needs to be performed, making the total amount of work needed to compress the spring by 14cm to be 60J.
aleferesco

Homework Statement

In order to compress a spring by 7cm from its natural length, 20J of work has to be done. How much additional work should be performed in order to compress the spring by an additional 7cm?

Homework Equations

F= -Kx (spring's equation)

W=1/2(Kx)x = [k(x)^2]/2 (Work equation and spring's equation)

The Attempt at a Solution

20J = [K (7)^2]/2 (Solving for k, but I get the same answer of 20J when substituting k in the work equation)

Although the answer seems to be 20J as you are stretching it an additional 7cm, that answer is wrong. The answer in the back of the book says it is 60J.

Physics news on Phys.org
Compare W1 = 1/2k(x1)^2 with W2 = 1/2k(x2)^2 = 1/2k(2x1)^2

I'm sorry I don't understand the comparison.

1/2k(x2)^2 = 1/2k(2x1)^2

1/2k(7)^2 = 1/2k [2(7)^2]

24.5k = 98k

After this I have no idea what to do... am I supposed to have it like this

W2 = 98k/24.5k (the k gets canceled out)

W2 = 4

Can you explain it a bit, thanks

aleferesco said:
I'm sorry I don't understand the comparison.

1/2k(x2)^2 = 1/2k(2x1)^2
This is the work needed to compress the spring by x2 = 2x1 (x1 = 7cm, in the example).

1/2k(7)^2 = 1/2k [2(7)^2]
This is incorrect. They (obviously) are not equal. Instead you want to compare them.

24.5k = 98k
The left side is the work needed (in terms of k) to compress the spring by 7cm. We know it's equal to 20J.

How much bigger is 98k? (Which is the work needed to compress the spring by 2*7=14cm.) By what factor is it bigger? Thus, how much energy does it correspond to? Thus, how much additional energy is needed?

Thanks a lot!, I got the answer

What is work done by a spring?

The work done by a spring is the amount of energy transferred to or from the spring when it is compressed or stretched. It is a measure of the force applied to the spring and the distance it moves.

How is work done by a spring calculated?

The work done by a spring can be calculated using the equation W = 1/2 kx^2, where W is the work done, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

What factors affect the work done by a spring?

The work done by a spring is affected by the stiffness of the spring (determined by the spring constant), the amount of displacement, and the direction of the force applied to the spring. The work done is also dependent on the initial and final positions of the spring.

What is the unit of measurement for work done by a spring?

The unit of measurement for work done by a spring is joules (J), which is the same as the unit for energy. This unit represents the amount of energy transferred to or from the spring.

What is the practical application of understanding work done by a spring?

Understanding work done by a spring is important in fields such as engineering and physics, where springs are commonly used in various devices and systems. It also helps in designing and optimizing devices that use springs, such as shock absorbers, car suspensions, and door hinges.