Work done by electric force on a point charge in a cylinder?

In summary: This is a nice exercise since the potential outside is not constant.Assuming it is a uniform charge and a long cylinder, I agree the potential should be constant inside. This is a nice exercise since the potential outside is not constant.In summary, the homework problem involves moving a point charge inside a hollow charged cylinder with a distance of (3/4)R from the center, ending at the center of the cylinder. The work done by the electric force is zero due to the equipotential nature of the cylinder. The cylinder is a charged insulator with uniform charge and a long shape, making the potential constant inside and non-constant outside.
cesaravila

Homework Statement

A point charge q is moved inside a hollow charged cylinder of radius R. The initial point A is a distance (3/4)R from the center and the final point B is at the center of the sphere. How much work is done by the electric force in this case?

2. The attempt at a solution

I am thinking that no work is done because its equipotential, but I am not certain its equipotential.

Physics news on Phys.org
cesaravila said:

Homework Statement

A point charge q is moved inside a hollow charged cylinder of radius R. The initial point A is a distance (3/4)R from the center and the final point B is at the center of the sphere. How much work is done by the electric force in this case?

2. The attempt at a solution

I am thinking that no work is done because its equipotential, but I am not certain its equipotential.
Hello cesaravila. Welcome to PF !

In one place you mention a cylinder. In another you mention a sphere.

Which is it ?

SammyS said:
Hello cesaravila. Welcome to PF !

In one place you mention a cylinder. In another you mention a sphere.

Which is it ?

It is a cylinder. The final point B is at the center of the cylinder.

Is the cylinder a conductor? A uniformly charged non-conductor? Any mention of the charge or charge density?

haruspex said:
Is the cylinder a conductor? A uniformly charged non-conductor? Any mention of the charge or charge density?

It is a charged insulator.

cesaravila said:
It is a charged insulator.
Assuming it is a uniform charge and a long cylinder, I agree the potential should be constant inside.

1. What is the formula for calculating the work done by electric force on a point charge in a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the work done by electric force on a point charge in a cylinder is W = QΔV, where W represents work, Q represents the point charge, and ΔV represents the change in potential energy.

2. How does the direction of the electric field affect the work done on a point charge in a cylinder?

The direction of the electric field affects the work done on a point charge in a cylinder because work is only done when there is a displacement in the direction of the force. Therefore, if the electric field and the displacement are in the same direction, work will be done.

3. Can the work done by electric force on a point charge in a cylinder be negative?

Yes, the work done by electric force on a point charge in a cylinder can be negative. This occurs when the electric force and the displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work.

4. What is the relationship between the work done by electric force and the electric potential energy of a point charge in a cylinder?

The work done by electric force is equal to the change in electric potential energy of a point charge in a cylinder. In other words, the work done is directly proportional to the change in potential energy.

5. How does the radius of the cylinder affect the work done by electric force on a point charge?

The radius of the cylinder does not affect the work done by electric force on a point charge. This is because the work done depends on the electric field and the displacement, which are both independent of the radius of the cylinder.