1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by moving electrons through electric potential?

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A parallel-plate capacitor is charged to an electric potential of 100 V by moving 4x10^19 electrons from one plate to the other. How much work was done?

2. Relevant equations
    How much work was done?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Work is then simply equals to -q*deltaV. Q= number of electrons times charge per electron.

W= +4E19 * 1.6E-19 * 100= 640 J

But the answer I was given was 320 J. I don't see a divisible of 2 anywhere that I can account for.

Please help. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

The conceptual error you're making here is that V is not constant during the movement of the charges. In other words, the 100 V was not always there from the beginning, but rather it built up slowly from 0 V as the charge accumulated. So W = q*V won't work. Instead you need W = qdV = CVdV.

If you haven't done integrals before, then use the following (totally equivalent) method: look up the equation for the total energy stored in a capacitor.

4. Jul 23, 2012 #3
    I see the error. Thank you much.

5. Jul 24, 2012 #4
    The voltage built up from zero to 100V by transferring the charge. For a capacitor Q is proportional to V so to calculate the work done you need average voltage (V/2) x charge

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook