Work done by moving electrons through electric potential?

In summary: So the work done is 1/2 x 4x10^19 x 100 = 320 J.In summary, the work done in charging a parallel-plate capacitor to an electric potential of 100 V by moving 4x10^19 electrons from one plate to the other is 320 J. This is calculated by taking the average voltage of 100 V (V/2) and multiplying it by the charge of 4x10^19, giving a total of 320 J. This is in contrast to the initial attempt of using the formula W = q*V, as the voltage is not constant during the movement of charges.
nghpham

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor is charged to an electric potential of 100 V by moving 4x10^19 electrons from one plate to the other. How much work was done?

Homework Equations

How much work was done?

The Attempt at a Solution

Work is then simply equals to -q*deltaV. Q= number of electrons times charge per electron.

W= +4E19 * 1.6E-19 * 100= 640 J

But the answer I was given was 320 J. I don't see a divisible of 2 anywhere that I can account for.

Please help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

nghpham said:

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor is charged to an electric potential of 100 V by moving 4x10^19 electrons from one plate to the other. How much work was done?

Homework Equations

How much work was done?

The Attempt at a Solution

Work is then simply equals to -q*deltaV. Q= number of electrons times charge per electron.

W= +4E19 * 1.6E-19 * 100= 640 J

But the answer I was given was 320 J. I don't see a divisible of 2 anywhere that I can account for.

Please help. Thanks.

The conceptual error you're making here is that V is not constant during the movement of the charges. In other words, the 100 V was not always there from the beginning, but rather it built up slowly from 0 V as the charge accumulated. So W = q*V won't work. Instead you need W = qdV = CVdV.

If you haven't done integrals before, then use the following (totally equivalent) method: look up the equation for the total energy stored in a capacitor.

I see the error. Thank you much.

The voltage built up from zero to 100V by transferring the charge. For a capacitor Q is proportional to V so to calculate the work done you need average voltage (V/2) x charge

I would like to clarify that the work done in this scenario is indeed 640 J, as calculated in the attempt at a solution. The answer of 320 J may have been a mistake or miscalculation. It is important to double check calculations and units to ensure accuracy in scientific work. Additionally, it is important to note that the work done in this scenario is due to the movement of electrons through an electric potential, which is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism. This work is necessary to charge the parallel-plate capacitor to a potential of 100 V, and it can be calculated using the equation W = qΔV, where q is the charge and ΔV is the change in potential.

1. What is work done by moving electrons through electric potential?

The work done by moving electrons through electric potential is a measure of the energy transferred when electrons move from one point to another with a difference in electric potential. It is also referred to as electrical work.

2. How is work done by moving electrons through electric potential calculated?

The work done by moving electrons through electric potential is calculated by multiplying the charge of the electron by the potential difference between the two points. It can be represented by the equation W = qV, where W is the work done, q is the charge, and V is the potential difference.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work done by moving electrons through electric potential?

The unit of measurement for work done by moving electrons through electric potential is joules (J). This is the same unit used to measure other forms of energy, such as mechanical work and heat.

4. How does work done by moving electrons through electric potential affect electrical circuits?

Work done by moving electrons through electric potential is what powers electrical circuits. When a potential difference is applied to a circuit, work is done by the electrons as they move through the circuit, providing energy for devices to function.

5. Can work done by moving electrons through electric potential be negative?

Yes, work done by moving electrons through electric potential can be negative. This occurs when the electrons are moving against the direction of the electric field, and therefore work is being done to overcome the electric potential difference. This is commonly seen in batteries when they are being charged.