1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work problem - Rope, pulley and brick (applied integration)

1. Nov 17, 2016 #1
    • Member warned that the homework template is required
    If a brick is pulled across the floor by a rope thruogh a pulley, 1 meter above the ground - and work = W, where [itex]W = 10N [/itex], (in newton).

Show that the horizontal component of W, which is pulling the brick has the size
    [tex] \frac{10x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}} (*) [/tex]
    Use this to calculate the amount of work needed to move the brick from x = 10 to x = 2.

This is what I have so far:
    In terms of the expression (*), I'm thinking the 10x has to do with W being equal to 10N, and the W-side (call it Z) being the hypotenuse: [itex] \sqrt{1+x^2} [/itex]
    ex5d.jpg
    Let the angle by the brick be θ:
    [tex] \cos θ=\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}} [/tex]

So is the formula found by taking cosθ×10?

In terms of calculating work, I'm not sure. I first thought taking the definite integral of (*) from 2 to 10?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're doing fine. Yes, the formula is good and since the force varies with x you need to integrate. Carry on !

4. Nov 17, 2016 #3
    Can I integrate it as 10*cosine? Or should I use the original expression using integration by parts (and other methods)?

5. Nov 17, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Write down the integral you want to calculate (##\ \int F \, dx\ ##). The integrand can be written as ##\ 10 \cos\theta\ ## but then you still need to do something ...

6. Nov 17, 2016 #5
    Clearly, since [itex]10\int_2^{10}cosθ[/itex] gives a negative number... I have no clue about physics, so I might be missing something about the work?

In the text, the brick is moving from 10 to 2, so maybe i should do:

[itex]10\int_{10}^{2}cosθ \approx 14.53[/itex]

How's that?

Alternatively, I know that [itex]W = F \times s [/itex] or [itex]W = F(s) [/itex], so I need to find some value for displacement

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  7. Nov 17, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Once you have the right expression for the integral, there isn't much physics going on anymore: it's pure math.

What do you make of ##dx## ?

8. Nov 18, 2016 #7
    Ah right - above I just used [itex] dθ [/itex] , but It depends on the integrand, so [itex] dx [/itex] means I need the integrand to be in terms of [itex] x [/itex]. So I should use the expression [itex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}} [/itex], thus [tex]10\int_{10}^2 \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}} dx[/tex]

9. Nov 18, 2016 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What I meant is that if you want to use theta as integration variable, you should not forget to express ##dx## in terms of ##\theta##. Perhaps keeping ##x## as integration variable is easier...?

10. Nov 18, 2016 #9
    Yes, that was just a typo on my part - I did integrate using dθ with cos (I did get a number above, which I assume is wrong?) and dx using the x-expression, which I haven't calculated yet, looks like a tricky integral, trig substitution maybe?

Btw about the limits of integration, from the illustration I made, it looks like we are moving in the negative direction, from 10 to 2 (this is the way it was stated in the problem as well). I know under the fundamental theorem you change the sign when flipping the limits of integration.

11. Nov 18, 2016 #10

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Turns ot both ways are pretty straightforward (goes to show that I'm also not that comfortable with integrals). Good exercise to actually do it both ways ! That also gives you an extra checking opportunity.

And you know you have the wrong sign if the work comes out negative :smile:

12. Nov 18, 2016 #11
    [tex]10\int_{2}^10 \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}} dx[/tex] Let [itex]u=1+x^2, du=2x dx[/itex] so we have

[tex]5\int_{x=2}^{x=10} \frac{1}{\sqrt{u}} du[/tex]

[tex]10\sqrt{u} = 10\sqrt{1+x^2} [/tex]

From [itex]x = 2[/itex] to 10

[tex]\approx 78.14[/tex]

13. Nov 18, 2016 #12

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good. Now perhaps ##\ \displaystyle \int 10\cos\theta\, dx \ ## with ##\ \theta = \cot x\ ## :rolleyes: ?

[edit] Sorry, wrong way around o:) : should of course be ##\ \cot\theta = x \ ##

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  14. Nov 18, 2016 #13
    Let [itex]θ= cotx , dθ=-csc^2xdx[/itex] so we have

[tex]-10\int_{2}^{10} cos(cotx)csc^2x dx[/tex]

Let u = cotx, [itex] du=-csc^2x dx[/itex]

[tex]-10\int_{x=2}^{x=10} cos(u) dx = -10(sin(cotx))[/tex] from 2 to 10

Is that negative? No idea how I would calculate [itex] \sin(\cot x) [/itex], it's a composite function but..

15. Nov 18, 2016 #14

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does that yield 78.14 ?

16. Nov 18, 2016 #15
    No, so something's wrong. The answer I got was [tex]1.441\times (-10) = -14.41[/tex]

17. Nov 18, 2016 #16

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Step from ##\ d\theta\ ## to ##\ dx\ ## :$$
    d\theta = -csc^2 x \, dx \Rightarrow \ dx = ... d\theta $$

18. Nov 18, 2016 #17

19. Nov 18, 2016 #18
    [tex] dθ = -csc^2x dx [/tex]
    [tex] dx = \frac{dθ}{-csc^2x} [/tex]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  20. Nov 18, 2016 #19
    I miscalculated something in the post above, the integral of [tex] \sin u du [/tex] Is equal to
    [tex] 14.4[/tex] not negative. I missed a negative sign from the csc^2. But it's still not 78.14.

21. Nov 18, 2016 #20

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to express ##\ \csc^2 x \ ## in terms of ##\theta##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted