X and y componants of electric field

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the values of cosine and sine for a given vector \vec E = |E|(\cos \theta\,\vec x + \sin \theta\,\vec y) and the importance of using the exact value of |E| instead of an approximation. The method used to calculate the values is discussed, and a potential error is pointed out due to the orientation of the sheet in the diagram.
rwooduk

Homework Statement

L5KcKX8.jpg

Homework Equations

Vectors.

The Attempt at a Solution

nEMPU3e.jpg

I understand the magnitude part, and I'm probably being really stupid here but I can't see how he has got the x and y values for the components (circled in red). If anyone could help it would really be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have [tex]\vec E = |E|(\cos \theta\,\vec x + \sin \theta\,\vec y)[/tex] for some [itex]\theta[/itex]. Given the horizontal dimensions of the sheet, what are [itex]\cos \theta[/itex] and [itex]\sin \theta[/itex]?

To calculate [itex]|E|\cos \theta[/itex] and [itex]|E|\sin \theta[/itex] you should use the exact value of [itex]|E|[/itex], not the approximation 223.61 kV/m.

Likes rwooduk
pasmith said:
You have [tex]\vec E = |E|(\cos \theta\,\vec x + \sin \theta\,\vec y)[/tex] for some [itex]\theta[/itex]. Given the horizontal dimensions of the sheet, what are [itex]\cos \theta[/itex] and [itex]\sin \theta[/itex]?

To calculate [itex]|E|\cos \theta[/itex] and [itex]|E|\sin \theta[/itex] you should use the exact value of [itex]|E|[/itex], not the approximation 223.61 kV/m.

Thats very helpful. Thankyou! Although for some reason I get 200 for [itex]|E|\cos \theta[/itex] and 100 for [itex]|E|\sin \theta[/itex]. But I'm happy just to understand the method he used. Thanks!

rwooduk said:
Thats very helpful. Thankyou! Although for some reason I get 200 for [itex]|E|\cos \theta[/itex] and 100 for [itex]|E|\sin \theta[/itex]. But I'm happy just to understand the method he used. Thanks!

You may have interchanged [itex]\vec x[/itex] and [itex]\vec y[/itex]. Note that in the diagram the longer side of the sheet is parallel to the y-axis, which is horizontal across the page.

Likes rwooduk
pasmith said:
You may have interchanged [itex]\vec x[/itex] and [itex]\vec y[/itex]. Note that in the diagram the longer side of the sheet is parallel to the y-axis, which is horizontal across the page.

Ahhhh, didnt notice the axis. Thank you!

Related to X and y componants of electric field

1. What are the X and Y components of electric field?

The X and Y components of electric field refer to the two perpendicular directions in which an electric field can be measured. The X component is the horizontal component, while the Y component is the vertical component.

2. How do you calculate the X and Y components of electric field?

The X and Y components of electric field can be calculated using the trigonometric functions sine and cosine. The magnitude of the electric field can be multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the electric field vector and the X-axis to find the X component, and by the sine of the angle to find the Y component.

3. What is the relationship between the X and Y components of electric field?

The X and Y components of electric field are perpendicular to each other and together make up the overall magnitude and direction of the electric field. This relationship is similar to the relationship between the X and Y components of a vector in geometry.

4. How do the X and Y components of electric field affect charged particles?

The X and Y components of electric field determine the force and direction that a charged particle will experience when placed in an electric field. The X component will cause the particle to move horizontally, while the Y component will cause it to move vertically.

5. Can the X and Y components of electric field cancel each other out?

Yes, the X and Y components of electric field can cancel each other out if they are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. This is known as a balanced electric field and results in a net electric field of zero, creating a state of equilibrium for charged particles.