X and y componants of electric field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 1K views
rwooduk
Messages
757
Reaction score
59

Homework Statement


L5KcKX8.jpg


Homework Equations


Vectors.

The Attempt at a Solution


nEMPU3e.jpg


I understand the magnitude part, and I'm probably being really stupid here but I can't see how he has got the x and y values for the components (circled in red). If anyone could help it would really be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have [tex]\vec E = |E|(\cos \theta\,\vec x + \sin \theta\,\vec y)[/tex] for some [itex]\theta[/itex]. Given the horizontal dimensions of the sheet, what are [itex]\cos \theta[/itex] and [itex]\sin \theta[/itex]?

To calculate [itex]|E|\cos \theta[/itex] and [itex]|E|\sin \theta[/itex] you should use the exact value of [itex]|E|[/itex], not the approximation 223.61 kV/m.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: rwooduk
pasmith said:
You have [tex]\vec E = |E|(\cos \theta\,\vec x + \sin \theta\,\vec y)[/tex] for some [itex]\theta[/itex]. Given the horizontal dimensions of the sheet, what are [itex]\cos \theta[/itex] and [itex]\sin \theta[/itex]?

To calculate [itex]|E|\cos \theta[/itex] and [itex]|E|\sin \theta[/itex] you should use the exact value of [itex]|E|[/itex], not the approximation 223.61 kV/m.

Thats very helpful. Thankyou! Although for some reason I get 200 for [itex]|E|\cos \theta[/itex] and 100 for [itex]|E|\sin \theta[/itex]. But I'm happy just to understand the method he used. Thanks!
 
rwooduk said:
Thats very helpful. Thankyou! Although for some reason I get 200 for [itex]|E|\cos \theta[/itex] and 100 for [itex]|E|\sin \theta[/itex]. But I'm happy just to understand the method he used. Thanks!

You may have interchanged [itex]\vec x[/itex] and [itex]\vec y[/itex]. Note that in the diagram the longer side of the sheet is parallel to the y-axis, which is horizontal across the page.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: rwooduk
pasmith said:
You may have interchanged [itex]\vec x[/itex] and [itex]\vec y[/itex]. Note that in the diagram the longer side of the sheet is parallel to the y-axis, which is horizontal across the page.

Ahhhh, didnt notice the axis. Thank you!