Young's Double Slit Experiment refraction

In summary: Sorry, I didn't quite understand the point. Can you explain it diagrammatically?In summary, my teacher said that the path difference when the glass slab is kept in front of the slit would be, Δx° = μt-t, and then he wrote, Δx° = d sinθ - (μt-t) and then he did the usual calculations and, finally, got y = [nλ + (μ-1)t]D/d.
Prashasti

Homework Statement

Young's double slit experiment

'd' - Separation between the two slits
'D' - Separation between the double slit and the screen
'S' - Source (Primary) (It is coherent)
S1, S2 - Secondary sources
Δx - Path difference between the two rays coming out from S1 and S2
Δx° - Path difference between the two rays coming out from S1 and S2 when a glass slab with refractive index μ and thickness 't' is placed in front of one of the slits.
λ - wavelength of the light waves

d<<D

2. Homework Equations

What my teacher did was,
He said that the path difference when the glass slab is kept in front of the slit would be,
Δx° = μt-t
And then he wrote,
Δx° = d sinθ - (μt-t)
And then he did the usual calculations and, finally, got
y = [nλ + (μ-1)t]D/d

I understood all the calculations he did. But I'm confused because he didn't consider the 'refraction' of light rays that pass through the slab anywhere while deriving the expression.
Won't the rays bend?
Can the lateral displacement be neglected?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,457
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming D>>t it would probably be a fairly accurate description of the situation for small ##\theta##. If it was me, I would place the glass on the entry-side of the slit, thus avoiding such inconsistencies.

Last edited:
Likes Prashasti
The light will bend towards the nornal when it enters the glass and will then bend away from the normal when it leaves the glass. The two effects will cancel and the original path will not change.

Likes Prashasti
henxan said:
Assuming D>>t it would probably be a fairly accurate description of the situation for small ##\theta##. If it was me, I would place the glass on the entry-side of the slit, thus avoiding such inconsistencies.
Thanks.
I got it!

Jilang said:
The light will bend towards the nornal when it enters the glass and will then bend away from the normal when it leaves the glass. The two effects will cancel and the original path will not change.
No. Lateral displacement is "must", because the two media are with different refractive indices.
They won't "cancel" each other's effect...rather, the emerging ray will follow a different path. (I'm pretty sure about this)

Yes, I absolutely see where you are coming from. The lateral displacement will tend to reduce the distance between the paths, BUT, the same angle ( the one between the normal to the glass surface and the beam) that causes the lateral displacement will also increase the time spent in the glass. Try drawing the glass surfaces at a slight angle to the beam and then rotate it a little bit. Do these effects cancel?

Likes Prashasti
Jilang said:
Yes, I absolutely see where you are coming from. The lateral displacement will tend to reduce the distance between the paths, BUT, the same angle ( the one between the normal to the glass surface and the beam) that causes the lateral displacement will also increase the time spent in the glass. Try drawing the glass surfaces at a slight angle to the beam and then rotate it a little bit. Do these effects cancel?
Sorry, I didn't quite understand the point. Can you explain it diagrammatically?

If light enters the glass at 90 degrees to the planes of the glass it will go straight through with no lateral displacement. If the light goes through the glass at another angle it will have lateral displacement, but will spend longer in the glass as it has a greater distance to travel through the glass.
729fcz.jpg

Likes Prashasti and henxan

What is Young's double slit experiment?

Young's double slit experiment is an optical experiment that demonstrates the wave nature of light and the phenomenon of interference. It was first performed by English physicist Thomas Young in 1801.

How does the experiment work?

In the experiment, a beam of light is directed at a screen with two parallel slits. The light passing through the slits diffracts, creating two sources of light waves that interfere with each other. This interference pattern is then observed on a second screen placed behind the first screen.

What is the significance of this experiment?

Young's double slit experiment provided strong evidence for the wave theory of light, which was in contrast to the previously accepted particle theory. It also paved the way for further study of the wave-like behavior of light and other electromagnetic waves.

How does refraction affect the experiment?

Refraction occurs when light travels through different mediums, causing it to change direction. In Young's double slit experiment, refraction can occur at the slits or the screens, altering the path of the light waves and affecting the interference pattern observed.

What are some applications of Young's double slit experiment?

Young's double slit experiment has been used to study the diffraction and interference of not just light, but also other types of waves such as sound and water waves. It has also been used in the development of technologies such as holography and interferometers.