Young's double slit-halving amplitude?

In summary, the question is whether halving the width of one of the slits in the Young double slit experiment will also halve the amplitude of the light exiting that slit. The relevant equations are the proportionality between intensity and amplitude squared, and the relationship between wavelength, slit width, and angle. The author also raises a concern about completely blocking out the light if the slit width is much smaller than the wavelength.
MBBphys
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Hi,
For the Young double slit experiment, say I have a plane wavefront approaching the double slit; now, if I halve the width of one of my slits, will the amplitude of the light exiting that slit be halved as well?

Homework Equations

None directly relevant I know of, but related:
Intensity directly proportional to [amplitude]2
nλ=dsinθ
λ=(ax)/D

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought that, as the slit width is really very close to the wavelength of light itself, that halving would have a noticeable impact on the amplitude? But I also wondered whether making it much smaller than the wavelength of light as a result would completely block out the light anyway??
Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
MBBphys said:
will the amplitude of the light exiting that slit be halved as well?

The intensity of the light coming through the slits is directly proportional to the width of the slit
And intensity is proportional to the square of amplitude. So amplitude2 is proportional to width

1. What is Young's double slit experiment?

Young's double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. How does the double slit experiment demonstrate the wave nature of light?

The interference pattern observed in the double slit experiment is a result of light waves from the two slits overlapping and either reinforcing or canceling each other out. This behavior is characteristic of waves and cannot be explained by the particle theory of light.

3. What does "halving amplitude" refer to in Young's double slit experiment?

"Halving amplitude" refers to the decrease in the amplitude of the wave as it passes through each slit. This decrease is due to a portion of the wave being diffracted and dispersed in all directions.

4. How does the distance between the two slits affect the interference pattern in Young's double slit experiment?

The distance between the two slits, also known as the slit separation, affects the spacing of the interference pattern on the screen. A larger slit separation results in a wider interference pattern, while a smaller slit separation results in a narrower interference pattern.

5. What is the significance of the interference pattern in Young's double slit experiment?

The interference pattern observed in Young's double slit experiment provides evidence for the wave nature of light and supports the theory that light is a form of electromagnetic radiation. It also has practical applications in fields such as optics and diffraction gratings used in spectrometers.