Why Do Equal Torques Keep a Lever in Equilibrium?

• Thread starter mikefitz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torques
In summary, the conversation is about understanding a diagram involving forces and torques. The person asking for help knows that the answer is 3 and 4, but is unsure how the book arrived at that conclusion. They are asking for an explanation of what is happening in the diagram. The solution involves looking at the magnitudes of the forces and their distance from the axis.
mikefitz
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/392/untitledsx2.png

this one seems so simple...i know the answer is 3 and 4; however, I do not know how my book came to that conclusion. can anyone explain to me exactly what is going on in the above diagram? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mikefitz said:
this one seems so simple...i know the answer is 3 and 4; however, I do not know how my book came to that conclusion. can anyone explain to me exactly what is going on in the above diagram? Thanks

Look at each pair of forces and at the pair of torques it would produce. Focus on the magnitudes of the force vectors and on their distance from the axis.

In the diagram, we can see that there are two forces acting on the lever arm. The force on the left side is 2N and the force on the right side is 3N. These two forces are acting in opposite directions, but they are also acting at equal distances from the pivot point. This means that they are exerting equal torques on the lever arm.

Torque is a measure of how much force is being applied to an object, taking into account the distance from the pivot point. In this case, the distance from the pivot point to each force is the same, so the forces are exerting equal torques.

To calculate the torque, we multiply the force by the distance from the pivot point. In this case, both forces are acting at a distance of 2 meters from the pivot point, so the torque on the left side is 2N x 2m = 4Nm. Similarly, the torque on the right side is 3N x 2m = 6Nm. Since these two torques are equal, the lever arm is in equilibrium and will not rotate.

In summary, the reason why the answer is 3 and 4 is because the forces are equal in magnitude and acting at equal distances from the pivot point, resulting in equal torques.

Related to Why Do Equal Torques Keep a Lever in Equilibrium?

1. What is a torque?

A torque is a force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is typically measured in units of newton-meters (N-m) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is: Torque = Force x Distance.

3. What is meant by equal torques?

Equal torques refer to two or more forces applied to an object that are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This results in a balanced torque, meaning the object will not rotate.

4. How does torque affect an object's motion?

Torque can cause an object to rotate or change its rotational speed. If the applied torque is greater than the object's resistance to rotation, it will start to rotate. If the torque is less than the resistance, the object will slow down or stop rotating.

5. Can multiple torques be applied to an object?

Yes, multiple torques can be applied to an object, and they will combine to create a net torque. This can result in the object rotating in a specific direction or remaining stationary depending on the relative magnitudes and directions of the torques.