Temperature Problem of steel rod

In summary, the steel rod elongates by 4.5 degrees Celsius when subjected to a 500 N force. The linear expansion coefficient for steel is 11x10^(-6) and the shear modulus is 8.4x10^10.
atelaphobia
Thermal Expansion Problem

i posted this thread in another forum because i really don't know where this question would apply but here goes
i've been working on this problem forever and i don't know what I'm doing wrong!
a steel rod undergoes a stretching force of 500 N. Its cross sectional area is 2.00 cm^2. Find the change in temperature that would elongate the rod by the same amount as the 500-N force does.
here's some info that may be of some use but i don't know how to use it!
average linear expansion coefficient: 11x10^(-6)
young's modulus: 20x10^10
shear modulus: 8.4x10^10
thanks in advance you guys!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well assuming the material is elastic linear, you can apply Hooke's Law for uniaxial stress and find the displacement, then with the displacement found, you could equal it with the linear expansion equation for heat, and solve for the temperature difference (change in temperature). Btw, wrong forum, this is introductory physics.

atelaphobia said:
i posted this thread in another forum because i really don't know where this question would apply but here goes
i've been working on this problem forever and i don't know what I'm doing wrong!
a steel rod undergoes a stretching force of 500 N. Its cross sectional area is 2.00 cm^2. Find the change in temperature that would elongate the rod by the same amount as the 500-N force does.
here's some info that may be of some use but i don't know how to use it!
average linear expansion coefficient: 11x10^(-6)
young's modulus: 20x10^10
shear modulus: 8.4x10^10
thanks in advance you guys!

"Young's modulus" measures how much a solid stretches in response to a force (basically the Hook's law coefficient).
"Shear modulus" measures how much the cross section of a solid contracts in response to a stretching of the length.
"Linear expansion coefficient" measures how much a solid will expand (in length) in response to a temperature change.

No, I didn't happen to know that off hand. I looked them up, right now, on "google.com".

Use Young's modulus to determine how much the material will stretch in response to a 500 N force. Use the linear expansion coefficient to determine the temperature necessary to produce that expansion.

Cyclovenom said:
Btw, wrong forum, this is introductory physics.

like i said.. i didnt know where to put this question... i saw clac and beyond and figured it would be a good place to put it...so my apologies..

i figured out the problem last night right after i posted it!

F/A=Y*coefficient of linear expansion*change in temp and solved for temp

thanks you guys!

What is the "Temperature Problem" of steel rod?

The "Temperature Problem" of steel rod refers to the issue of how temperature changes can affect the mechanical properties of steel rods. When a steel rod is exposed to high temperatures, it can experience thermal expansion, which can cause changes in its dimensions and potentially lead to structural failures.

What factors contribute to the "Temperature Problem" of steel rod?

There are several factors that can contribute to the "Temperature Problem" of steel rod, including the type of steel used, the temperature range the rod is exposed to, and the duration of exposure. Additionally, the rate of heating and cooling can also affect the rod's behavior.

How can the "Temperature Problem" of steel rod be prevented?

To prevent the "Temperature Problem" of steel rod, engineers and scientists use various techniques such as selecting the appropriate type of steel for the intended temperature range, incorporating thermal expansion joints, and using heat-resistant coatings. Additionally, proper installation and maintenance practices can help minimize the effects of temperature changes on steel rods.

What are the potential consequences of the "Temperature Problem" of steel rod?

If the "Temperature Problem" of steel rod is not addressed, it can lead to structural failures, which can be hazardous and costly. For example, thermal expansion of steel rods used in bridges or buildings can cause them to buckle or collapse. In industrial settings, failures due to the "Temperature Problem" can result in costly downtime and repairs.

How do scientists and engineers study and address the "Temperature Problem" of steel rod?

Scientists and engineers use a combination of theoretical and experimental methods to study and address the "Temperature Problem" of steel rod. This can include computer simulations, laboratory experiments, and field studies. By understanding the underlying mechanisms and behavior of steel rods under different temperature conditions, they can develop effective solutions to prevent failures and improve the safety and reliability of structures and equipment.