Proving vector identity using levi-civita tensor help

In summary, the vector cross-product is given by: (A×B)i =ε ijk Aj Bk , where εijk is the Levi-Civita tensor. The derivative of this equation is acting on a product of two functions, what does it do when it acts on a function f(x)*g(x)?
ATOMICJOCK
Using the fact that we can write the vector cross-product in the form: (A× B)i =ε ijk Aj Bk ,
where εijk is the Levi-Civita tensor show that:

∇×( fA) = f ∇× A− A×∇f ,

where A is a vector function and f a scalar function.

Could you please be as descriptive as possible; as I'm not sure how to even start this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you can rewrite the left hand side as [tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_j(fA_k)[/tex] and act with the derivative. The Levi-Civita tensor is a constant so the partial does not act on it.

PENGUINO,

Thanks for the reply; but can you provide this answer as a step by step solution please? I'm a visual person, and prefer to see everything so that i can learn.

It's a two step problem. The derivative is acting on a product of two functions, what does a derivative do when it acts [tex]{{\partial} \over {\partial x}}(f(x)*g(x))[/tex]?

but A is a vector function, and f is a scalar function...I'm sorry i haven't had much sleep, could you please write everything out.

ATOMICJOCK said:
but A is a vector function, and f is a scalar function...I'm sorry i haven't had much sleep, could you please write everything out.

This will only be helpful if you do the work yourself. The beauty of index notation is that [tex]A_i[/tex] means the scalar part of the i-th component.

So if you have a vector [tex] A = 3xy{\bf{\hat x}} + 9zx{\bf{\hat y}}[/tex], the [tex]A_x[/tex] signifies the x-component of the vector A, 3xy.

Lol I still don't understand. I mean i know the basic definition of the Levi-Civita Tensor, but that's it...realy need detailed step for this question to understand it.

Okay, you know that you were told that:

[tex]
\nabla\times (f\mathbf{A})=\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_j(fA_k)
[/tex]

So just use the product rule to show that:

[tex]
\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_j(fA_k)=\epsilon_{ijk}f\partial_{j}A_{k}+\epsilon_{ijk}A_{k}\partial_{j}f
[/tex]

and you should also know that:

[tex]
(\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B})_{i}=\epsilon_{ijk}A_{j}B_{k}
[/tex]

Right? can you continue from here?

It makes sense, but would be nice to see the completed end result, brain just isn't working at the moment.

One more hint and then you're on your own:

[tex]
(\nabla\times\mathbf{A})_{i}=\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_{j}A_{k}
[/tex]

Thanks very much for the help; although more lines would help.

I won't just give you the answer, that is against the board rules and I have been stung once before. The tips I have given you are enough for you to quite easily do the problem. My suggestion is that you try and put these lines together and we can correct you on your ideas. We want to help but we won't do the problems for you.

What is the Levi-Civita tensor and how is it used in proving vector identities?

The Levi-Civita tensor, also known as the permutation tensor, is a mathematical object that is used to represent the sign of a permutation in multilinear algebra. It is commonly used in vector calculus to simplify the notation and prove identities involving vector operations.

What is the process for proving a vector identity using the Levi-Civita tensor?

The process involves first rewriting the vector identity in terms of the Levi-Civita tensor, then using its properties of antisymmetry and orthogonality to manipulate the expression until it matches the original identity. A common technique is to use index notation and the summation convention to simplify the calculations.

Can the Levi-Civita tensor be used to prove any vector identity?

No, the Levi-Civita tensor can only be used to prove identities that involve vector operations such as dot product, cross product, and vector triple product. It cannot be used to prove identities involving matrices or other types of mathematical objects.

Are there any limitations to using the Levi-Civita tensor in proving vector identities?

Yes, one limitation is that the Levi-Civita tensor only works in three-dimensional space. It cannot be used in higher dimensions. Additionally, the tensor must be used correctly and in the appropriate context, otherwise it may lead to incorrect results.

How is the Levi-Civita tensor related to the concept of handedness in vector operations?

The Levi-Civita tensor plays a crucial role in determining the direction of vector operations. It follows the right-hand rule, where the direction of the resulting vector is determined by the orientation of the coordinate system and the order in which the vectors are multiplied. This is why it is also known as the "vector cross product rule".