Distribution of charge in two charged capacitors joined in a circuit

In summary, when two capacitors are connected in parallel, the voltage between the two is the same. This is because the capacitors are sharing the same amount of charge. Resistance/internal resistance can cause the energy to be lost in the circuit, but this is usually avoided in reality.
thisischris
Hello!

I'm having a bit of a struggle understanding the logic behind these two questions.

A 2.2 uF capacitor is charged to a potential of 15V, and a 3.3uF capacitor is charged to a potential of 30V.
The capacitors are then joined together as in the circuit diagram. When the switch s is closed, the charge re-distributes between the capacitors. Explain why the final voltage across each capacitor is the same.

Answer: Capacitors are in parallel.

I sort of agree that the voltage would be the same otherwise charge would 'flow' from one point to another. I don't understand how them being in parallel explains this however.

Suggest why the calculated value of energy stored by the capacitors (1.6 x10-3J) is less than the total energy that would be stored by the capacitors individually.

Answer: Work is done redistributing charge.

Is this due to resistance/internal resistance(?). However we haven't accounted for it (I think?) so I don't see why it should be lower, unless the question refers to a actual experiment that may take place?

Thank you :smile:

Attachments

• stat0istics.png
    stat0istics.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 566
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After connecting both capacitors, you have a voltage between the lower and the upper wire (where I do not care about its value here). Both capacitors are connected to them (in parallel), therefore they both have this voltage.
Is this due to resistance/internal resistance(?)
It is. With ideal components, you get unphysical results. However, in reality you usually have some resistance somewhere (wires, switch, capacitors). If you carefully avoid all of them, the small inductance of the system can give you a resonator and it takes a while to reach equilibrium. Anyway, you can calculate the equilibrium voltage and the corresponding energy, and you know that some energy has to leave the system in order to reach this state.

When capacitors are charged or discharged energy is lost in the process. Energy is lost in the connecting wires and any resistance in the circuit. Energy lost in the wires can be heating due to the resistance of the wires and electro magnetic radiation from the wires due to the changing current during charging/discharging.

Chris,

I sort of agree that the voltage would be the same otherwise charge would 'flow' from one point to another. I don't understand how them being in parallel explains this however.

When they are in parallel, both ends of the two capacitors are connected to the same two points. Therefore, they have to be at the same voltage. That is not true for series connected caps.

Is this due to resistance/internal resistance(?). However we haven't accounted for it (I think?) so I don't see why it should be lower, unless the question refers to a actual experiment that may take place?

If you assume no circuit resistance, then no energy will be lost. But then you also have to assume the the equalization current will be infinite. That can never happen in a practical circuit, so the final energy will always be less the initial value.

Ratch

Thank you for everyone's help. Much appreciated. :)

1. How does the distribution of charge in two charged capacitors affect the overall capacitance of the circuit?

The distribution of charge in two charged capacitors does not affect the overall capacitance of the circuit. The total capacitance of the circuit is determined by the individual capacitances of the capacitors and their arrangement in the circuit, not the distribution of charge.

2. Can the distribution of charge in two charged capacitors be unequal?

Yes, the distribution of charge in two charged capacitors can be unequal. This is often the case in circuits where the capacitors have different capacitances or are connected to different sources of voltage.

3. How does the distribution of charge in two charged capacitors change if the capacitors are connected in series?

When two charged capacitors are connected in series, the distribution of charge is equal in both capacitors. This is because the capacitors share the same amount of charge due to the series connection, and the distribution of charge is determined by the capacitance of each capacitor.

4. What happens to the distribution of charge in two charged capacitors when they are connected in parallel?

When two charged capacitors are connected in parallel, the distribution of charge is unequal. The capacitor with the larger capacitance will have a larger amount of charge, while the capacitor with the smaller capacitance will have a smaller amount of charge. This is because the capacitors share the same voltage in a parallel connection, but the charge is distributed based on the capacitance of each capacitor.

5. How does the distribution of charge change if the circuit is in a steady state compared to when it is first connected?

In a steady state, the distribution of charge in two charged capacitors remains the same as when the circuit was first connected. This is because capacitors do not allow steady-state currents to flow through them, so the charge is stored and distributed in the same way as when the circuit was first connected.