Solve 2-Mass Pulley System Homework for Moving Blocks

In summary, the tension in the string is Wsinθ/f, where f is the static friction. If block 1 is heavier than block 2, then block 2 will move up the ramp.
dgZeyas

Homework Statement

A massless string, passing over the frictionless pulley, connects the two masses as shown. Block m1 hangs vertically without touching the wall, but m2 slides along the wall with friction (μs = 0.61, and μk = 0.14). If θ = 53°, how many times heavier than block 1 must block 2 be to start the system moving?

prob92.gif

Homework Equations

1. ƩFx = max and ƩFy = may

2. fs = μsN
3. fk = μkN

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up a free body diagram for m2, oriented as it is in space, such that the positive x-direction points up the slope and the positive y-direction points perpendicularly out of the slope. Then the forces are as follows:

T (tension): + x-direction
W (weight): m2gsinθ in the -x-direction and m2gcosθ in the -y-direction
N (normal): +y direction
fs (static friction): +x-direction (when m2 is NOT moving)
fk (static friction): -x-direction (when m2 IS moving)

So I figured the static friction would be this:

fs= μs(m2)(g)(sinθ)

as per equation 2.

But this is about as far as I got. I'm trying to find how many times heavier than block 1 must block 2 be to start the system moving-- I inferred from this that block 2 would move UP the ramp if block 1 was heavier, which makes sense, and while I have an equation containing m2, I'm having trouble figuring out another equation so a ratio can be set up.

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dgZeyas said:
So I figured the static friction would be this:

fs= μs(m2)(g)(sinθ)

as per equation 2.
(Emphasis in red, mine.)

Are you sure about that? (Hint: what's the normal force on m2?)

After that, the next step is to ask yourself, "if nothing is moving, what is the tension in the string?"

Oh, yeah, ok it'd be cosθ. Because the normal force is the positive y-component of the weight. Thanks for pointing that out.

Tension (according to my coordinate system) is in the positive x-direction. OK. So if nothing is moving, ƩFx=0, as per equation 2 and Newton's second law.

So ƩFx = T + f - Wsinθ = 0, where W is the weight of the second mass.

So T = Wsinθ/f. f is the static friction ,or μs multiplied by the normal force... which is a vector in the y-direction, not the x, so now I confused how to add that bit in.

Thanks for the pointers so far.

Edit: I got a bit further and I can calculate the tension in the string using a FBD for mass 1. So that would enable me to find the static friction force, but I don't particularly see how that gets me closer to the answer either to be honest.

Last edited:
dgZeyas said:
Oh, yeah, ok it'd be cosθ. Because the normal force is the positive y-component of the weight. Thanks for pointing that out.

Tension (according to my coordinate system) is in the positive x-direction. OK. So if nothing is moving, ƩFx=0, as per equation 2 and Newton's second law.

So ƩFx = T + f - Wsinθ = 0, where W is the weight of the second mass.

So T = Wsinθ/f. f is the static friction ,or μs multiplied by the normal force... which is a vector in the y-direction, not the x, so now I confused how to add that bit in.

Thanks for the pointers so far.

Edit: I got a bit further and I can calculate the tension in the string using a FBD for mass 1. So that would enable me to find the static friction force, but I don't particularly see how that gets me closer to the answer either to be honest.

You're doing great! :smile:

But don't forget! You've already found an expression for the static friction force in your first post (with the cos correction in your last post),
fs = μsm2g cosθ.
So feel free to substitute that in.

You've also mentioned that by using mass m1 that you can also find another expression with the tension in it, so that get's rid of the T variable.

Now just express m2/m1 as a function of θ and μs, and that's pretty much it.

Last edited:
Oh, and welcome to Physics Forums, by the way!

Long story short-- I've gotten it all figured out. As my professor says, non-calc physics is just a LOT of algebra. Well, yes it is, yes it is.

Anyways, thanks very much for all your help and your welcome!

Feel free to lock or delete the thread or whatever :)

Thanks again :)

1. How do I determine the acceleration of the blocks in a 2-mass pulley system?

The acceleration of the blocks in a 2-mass pulley system can be determined by using Newton's second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the net force is the tension in the string connecting the two blocks, and the mass is the combined mass of the two blocks. By solving for acceleration, you can determine how fast the blocks are moving.

2. What is the difference between a fixed and a movable pulley in a 2-mass pulley system?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force being applied, whereas a movable pulley is attached to the object being moved and reduces the amount of force required to move it. In a 2-mass pulley system, the fixed pulley will have no effect on the acceleration of the blocks, while the movable pulley will increase the acceleration.

3. How do I calculate the tension in the string connecting the blocks in a 2-mass pulley system?

The tension in the string can be calculated using the tension formula, which states that the tension is equal to the weight of the object being lifted plus the weight of the pulley system, divided by the number of strings supporting the object. In a 2-mass pulley system, the weight of the object being lifted is equal to the combined mass of the two blocks, and the weight of the pulley system is equal to the combined mass of the pulleys. The number of strings supporting the object is equal to the number of movable pulleys in the system.

4. Is there a specific method for solving a 2-mass pulley system problem?

Yes, there is a specific method for solving a 2-mass pulley system problem. This involves drawing a free body diagram for each block and pulley in the system, identifying all the forces acting on them, and then applying Newton's laws of motion to determine the acceleration of the blocks and the tension in the string. It is important to carefully label all forces and use consistent units in order to get an accurate solution.

5. Can I use conservation of energy to solve a 2-mass pulley system problem?

Yes, conservation of energy can be used to solve a 2-mass pulley system problem. This method involves calculating the potential energy and kinetic energy of the system at different points in time and setting them equal to each other. By solving for the unknown variables, such as the height of the blocks or the velocity of the blocks, you can determine the final state of the system.