3 phase power systems: per unit with transformers

In summary, Brian is looking for a pattern to determine when to divide voltage by sqrt 3, but he is unable to find one.
Brianrofl
Member advised to use the formatting template for questions posted to the homework forums
Hey,

I'm currently working a problem that looks like this:

Capture.PNG

There's more to this problem, but I'm sure I can solve the rest of it, there are just things I'm uncertain about. Actually, it's only one thing I'm uncertain about.

I'm looking through my notes, and when converting the voltage base at one bus to another, sometimes there's a conversion from line-to-line to line-to-neutral, and sometimes there's no conversion at all, just purely the transformer's coil ratios. I've looked through all these sample problems, and I cannot find a pattern of when to divide by sqrt 3 and when not to.

I'm not sure if I've explained myself fully. For example, let's try to find the bases at bus 1:

First, since there's no transformer between bus 2 and bus 3, we know their bases are the same:

bus 2: 115kv, 132.25 ohms

Now, find bus 1:

The coil ratio is 115/14.4, and the low voltage side is at bus 1, with the high voltage side at bus 2. Thus, the voltage base at bus 1 is (14.4/115) * 115 = 14.4 kv. But, do I have to divide by sqrt 3 for some line-to-line to line-to-neutral conversion? That's what I'm really unsure about and need to understand for this material. Is the voltage base at bus 1 14.4kv or is it 8.31kv?

I'd really appreciate some help on this subject and look forward to it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Brian, Its a bit out of my field but I think I have spotted the clue. The only time you need to convert from line-to-line to line-to-neutral is when your transformer is connected in delta configuration on one side (eg the primary) and in star (or Y) configuration on the other side (eg the secondary). This information is given to you in the diagram of the transformers which have a little "∆" or "Y" written under each primary and secondary. When both the primary and secondary have the same symbol (ie both are Y or both are ∆), then you need no √3 conversion, but when they are different then you do need to convert. I imagine you can work out whether to step the voltage up or down in each case where they are different?

Likes NascentOxygen
This is one reason I considered -- but I found an example in my notes with a Y-delta configuration without the conversion. I've already submitted the assignment so by next lecture this answer should come to light, and I might post on here the reason why. Thanks for the reply

Brianrofl said:
...I found an example in my notes with a Y-delta configuration without the conversion.
I'll be willing to bet that your notes are incorrect in this case!

What is a 3 phase power system?

A 3 phase power system is an electrical power system that uses three alternating currents, with equal magnitude and frequency, that are out of phase by 120 degrees. It is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings.

What is the significance of using per unit values in 3 phase power systems?

Per unit values are used in 3 phase power systems to simplify calculations and comparisons of different systems. It allows for easier analysis and understanding of power systems with varying voltage and current levels.

How do transformers play a role in 3 phase power systems?

Transformers are used in 3 phase power systems to step up or step down the voltage levels between the power generation and transmission stages. They help to efficiently transmit and distribute power over long distances.

What are the advantages of using 3 phase power systems over single phase systems?

3 phase power systems have several advantages over single phase systems, including higher power output, lower transmission losses, and the ability to run larger motors and equipment. They are also more balanced and stable, resulting in a more reliable power supply.

What are some common applications of 3 phase power systems?

3 phase power systems are commonly used in industrial and commercial settings, such as factories, office buildings, and hospitals. They are also used in large residential buildings, such as apartment complexes, and in some large household appliances like air conditioners and refrigerators.