A descriptive picture of radar simultaneity

In summary, radar simultaneity is a concept that extends Einstein's simultaneity convention to arbitrary accelerating observers and is described in a paper by Dalsepam. However, there is no natural way to construct a global coordinate patch for these observers due to different approaches mapping different parts of spacetime. One approach, Fermi-normal, has a patch bounded by areas where extended hypersurfaces intersect, while radar only includes the prior lightcone of an event on an observer's world line. The handling of rare cases with multiple visual images or radar returns is still in question, with different schemes covering different cases but none being globally extended. The existence of a natural global coordinate system for accelerating observers is uncertain, with previous proposals having some limitations.
PAllen
Science Advisor
I'm sure someone else must have come up with this (the description in the third paragraph), but I haven't seen it. Briefly, for those not familiar with it, radar simultaneity generalizes Einstein's simultaneity convention directly to arbitrarility accelerating observer. Dalsepam has posted a paper describing it.

A key issue with accelerating observers is that there is no natural way to construct a global coordinate patch. Different approaches map different parts of spacetime, but none can be global. For Fermi-normal, your patch is bounded by areas where extended hypersurfaces intersect, but it is able to cover extensive regions that are not yet causally connected to the observer. Radar makes a different compromise (as I view it): its coordinate patch only includes the prior lightcone of an event on an observer's world line. However, the bad areas for Fermi-normal are readily mapped once they are in an observer's prior lightcone. Radar simultaneity also is inapplicable in cosmology (Observer's world line must extend to prior lightcone of distant event. This is not generally possible for cosmological distances).

Ok, now my descriptive picture. Imagine attached to any object you can see a clock and a mirror (you, the observer, have a clock too). What you see on the object's clock shows proper time progress for the object. The image of your clock in the objec's mirror tells you how to map the event you are now seeing to your own history - back from now halfway to the time you see in the reflection. You choose to follow this information from clocks and treat doppler and aberration effects (leading to rapid changes in perceived distances, etc.) as purely optical artifacts of your changes in direction motion (which of course you can feel).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you handle those rare cases where you might have two (or more) visual images / radar returns. Take the one with the least propagation delay?

pervect said:
How do you handle those rare cases where you might have two (or more) visual images / radar returns. Take the one with the least propagation delay?

The paper posted by Dalespam didn't cover this (it only dealt with accelerated observers in SR). I would consider it equally reasonable to do as you suggest or to declare that this represents a limit on the extent of the coordinate patch. Multiply labeling points is the problem with the Fermi-normal 'bad regions'. So here you have multiple labeling, so declare it outside the bounds of the patch. Each scheme can cover different cases, but it seems obvious no scheme can be globally extended.

Trying to itemize cases where this anomaly could happen:

- gravitational lensing
- non simply connected geometry
- closed universe (for this, might be reasonable to pick one by rule)

any others?

Last edited:
PAllen said:
Different approaches map different parts of spacetime, but none can be global.
I know that the D&G radar coordinates have the problem you mentioned and similarly the Fermi normal coordinates, but do you really think that means that there is no possible global coordinate system? I don't know of one, but I am not certain that they don't exist.

DaleSpam said:
I know that the D&G radar coordinates have the problem you mentioned and similarly the Fermi normal coordinates, but do you really think that means that there is no possible global coordinate system? I don't know of one, but I am not certain that they don't exist.

Maybe I should say 'natural' coordinate system. No I don't know for sure. Just never come across any proposal for useful coordinates for general accelerating observers that don't have some problem of this type. I just figured if no one ever mentions one, it is believed not to exist. Of course, it is known that there are GR solutions that admit no global coordinates at all, but that has nothing to do with accelerating observers, per se.

Yeah, I can see that, but then it could be somewhat tautological depending on what you allow as "natural" coordinates. In any case, I always like new "natural" coordinate systems for non-inertial observers.

1. What is radar simultaneity?

Radar simultaneity is the phenomenon where two or more radar pulses are transmitted at the same time and return echoes are received at the same time. This is important in radar technology as it allows for accurate detection and measurement of objects and their movements.

2. How does radar simultaneity work?

Radar simultaneity works by transmitting short pulses of radio waves and then receiving the echoes that bounce back from objects in the environment. The time it takes for the echo to return is used to determine the distance and direction of the object from the radar station.

3. What are the applications of radar simultaneity?

Radar simultaneity has many applications, including air traffic control, weather forecasting, and military surveillance. It is also used in automotive technology for collision avoidance systems and in sports for tracking the speed and trajectory of objects like balls.

4. How is radar simultaneity different from radar delay?

While radar simultaneity refers to the synchronization of transmitted and received radar pulses, radar delay is the time it takes for the radar pulse to travel to the object and back. Radar simultaneity is necessary for accurate measurements, while radar delay can affect the accuracy of the measurements.

5. What are the limitations of radar simultaneity?

One limitation of radar simultaneity is that it requires precise timing and synchronization of the radar pulses, which can be affected by external factors such as weather or interference. Additionally, radar simultaneity may not work well in cluttered environments where echoes from multiple objects may overlap and make it difficult to accurately measure the distance and direction of a specific object.