A parabolic force distribution is applied to a beam

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct method for finding the moment of a distributed load with units of N/m. It is suggested to redefine the variables to simplify the calculation and ensure that the units match. It is also noted that w(x) is a distributed loading and that the total load applied is equal to the integral of the load function over the length it passes over.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

j9qRi.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So I noticed the units of w_0 were in N. In other words to find the moment I would have to integrate 100∫01 x2+1-2x dx. However I ended up with the wrong answer.

The correct answer requires that I integrate 100∫01 x2+1-2x x dx

However, if I do it this way I don't see how the units work out... Do you think this is a mistake? I think they wanted w_0 to be a distributed load with units N/m...

Physics news on Phys.org
The only math involved here is simple integration so I am moving this to the "physic homework" section.

theBEAST said:
So I noticed the units of w_0 were in N. In other words to find the moment I would have to integrate 100∫01 x2+1-2x dx. However I ended up with the wrong answer.
The units of w_0 are in N/m2. If you integrate 100∫01 x2+1-2x dx, you get force.

I suppose you mean 100∫(01 x2+1-2x)x dx. Yes, you need to integrate this to find the moment.

theBEAST said:

Homework Statement

j9qRi.png

The Attempt at a Solution

However, if I do it this way I don't see how the units work out... Do you think this is a mistake? I think they wanted w_0 to be a distributed load with units N/m...

In problems of this type it is easier to re-define things a bit, so units do not get in the way. Say the distance is x meters (so x is dimensionless!). Then if the "constant" is w0 N, the constant w0 is also dimensionless. This will make everything work out more easily than the original choice where x is distance (so has attached units of meters) and where w0 is an initial constant with dimensions of N/m2.

Anyway, the point is that you want to match the first moments of the forces, so you want to match force × distance (this is NOT work!) on both sides.

RGV

Thanks everyone! So is w(x) a distributed force? In other words w(x)*dx gives us a small fraction of the force at a certain x and then we multiply this value by x to get the moment?

Yes, w(x) is a distributed loading. As you have pointed out the total force supplied by the loading is the integral of the load function along the length it passes over. This total load is then applied at the centroid of the area underneath the load curve in order to have the same net effect that the distributed load itself had on the beam. From here your problem becomes a simple moment balancing issue.

1. What is a parabolic force distribution?

A parabolic force distribution is a type of load, or force, applied to a beam that follows a parabolic curve. This means that the force is highest at the center of the beam and gradually decreases towards the ends.

2. How is a parabolic force distribution applied to a beam?

A parabolic force distribution can be applied to a beam in a number of ways, such as by using evenly spaced point loads or by using a distributed load with a parabolic shape. The method used will depend on the specific application and the desired results.

3. What are the advantages of using a parabolic force distribution?

Using a parabolic force distribution can help to evenly distribute the load on a beam, reducing the risk of failure or damage. It can also help to minimize bending and deflection of the beam, making it more stable and able to support heavier loads.

4. Are there any limitations to using a parabolic force distribution?

While a parabolic force distribution can be beneficial in many cases, it may not be suitable for all applications. For example, for beams with varying cross-sections or non-uniform materials, a different type of force distribution may be more appropriate.

5. How does a parabolic force distribution affect the strength of a beam?

A parabolic force distribution can increase the strength of a beam by reducing stress and strain on certain areas. However, it is important to carefully consider the magnitude and distribution of the force to ensure that the beam can still withstand the load without buckling or failing.