Solving a Weird Integral Homework Problem: Tips and Attempted Solutions

So in summary, we can see that the given integral can be solved using hypergeometric functions and the method of substitution and partial integration.
Selfluminous

Homework Statement

evaluate
5}\right)dx%20$.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't think there is an elementary function as anti derivative for this integral

i tried taylor expansion, doesn't seem to work.

Can anyone give me a hint ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Selfluminous said:

Homework Statement

evaluate
5}\right)dx%20$.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't think there is an elementary function as anti derivative for this integral

i tried taylor expansion, doesn't seem to work.

Can anyone give me a hint ?
WolframAlpha shows the indefinite integral to include the Hypergeometric function 2F1. http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Integrate+%281-x^5%29^%281%2F7%29-%281-x^7%29^%281%2F5%29dx

It shows the definite integral to be zero.

Although I really don't think there's an easy way to solve this one, it's neat to notice the weird symmetry of the powers on x and of the roots (1/5 and 1/7 compared with 7 and 5 for powers). Notice that you can factor both (1-x^5) and (1-x^7). It's kind of taunting when you do factor them and realize they're very similar. Try playing around with this.

There's a neat way to do this. Start by observing that:

[itex]f(x) = (1-x^5)^{\frac{1}{7}}[/itex] and [itex]g(x) = (1-x^7)^{\frac{1}{5}}[/itex]

are in fact inverse functions. This means that they are symmetrical when reflected in the line y = x.

Over the domain [0,1], they both have the range [0,1].

Can you now draw a conclusion about the areas under each curve from 0 to 1? :wink:

This general method applies to a lot of functions of that form. Nothing special about the 5 or 7 here. :biggrin:

Curious3141 said:

[itex]f(x) = (1-x^5)^{\frac{1}{7}}[/itex] and [itex]g(x) = (1-x^7)^{\frac{1}{5}}[/itex]

are in fact inverse functions. This means that they are symmetrical when reflected in the line y = x.

Can you now draw a conclusion about the areas under each curve from 0 to 1? :wink:

Bah, I was getting there! Nice find Curious.

Curious3141 said:

This general method applies to a lot of functions of that form. Nothing special about the 5 or 7 here. :biggrin:

Wow thank you and everyone.
mathematics is awesome
\m/

Curious3141 said:

Yes, this is very interesting!

So, under what conditions is [itex]\displaystyle \int_0^1 \left(f(x)-f^{-1}(x)\right)\,dx=0\,?[/itex]

Of course the domains & ranges have to all be [0,1].

As it so happens, map 1 → 0 , and 0 → 1 . Is that important ? Yes it is.

In the case where f(0) = 0 = f -1(0) and f(1) = 1 = f -1(1), we find that [itex]\displaystyle \int_0^1 \left(f(x)+f^{-1}(x)\right)\,dx=1[/itex] instead. Notice that the functions are added here.

SammyS said:
Yes, this is very interesting!

So, under what conditions is [itex]\displaystyle \int_0^1 \left(f(x)-f^{-1}(x)\right)\,dx=0\,?[/itex]

Of course the domains & ranges have to all be [0,1].

As it so happens, map 1 → 0 , and 0 → 1 . Is that important ? Yes it is.

In the case where f(0) = 0 = f -1(0) and f(1) = 1 = f -1(1), we find that [itex]\displaystyle \int_0^1 \left(f(x)+f^{-1}(x)\right)\,dx=1[/itex] instead. Notice that the functions are added here.

Yes, it depends on whether the functions are increasing or decreasing over the interval. :smile:

You can also follow the hints that you were given: first substitute, say in the second integral, [itex] t=(1-x^7)^{1/5} [/itex]. You'll get something like [itex] \int dt t f(t) [/itex]. Then do partial integration with this. Since the integration limits are 0 and 1 in both cases, the remaining integrals should cancel and you're left with a boundary term which is easy to evaluate.

Related to Solving a Weird Integral Homework Problem: Tips and Attempted Solutions

What is "A Very Weird Integral"?

"A Very Weird Integral" is a mathematical integral that has gained popularity in recent years due to its unusual properties and challenging nature. It involves a combination of complex functions and constants that make it difficult to solve using traditional methods.

Why is "A Very Weird Integral" considered difficult?

"A Very Weird Integral" is considered difficult because it requires advanced knowledge of mathematical concepts and techniques to solve. It may also involve multiple steps and complex manipulations, making it time-consuming and challenging to solve.

What makes "A Very Weird Integral" unique?

What sets "A Very Weird Integral" apart from other integrals is its unusual combination of functions and constants. It also often has no closed-form solution, meaning it cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions.

What are some applications of "A Very Weird Integral"?

"A Very Weird Integral" has applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model complex systems and make predictions or estimates in real-world scenarios.

Are there any known solutions to "A Very Weird Integral"?

While there are no known closed-form solutions to "A Very Weird Integral," mathematicians have developed numerical methods and approximations to solve it. Additionally, there may be specific cases or variations of the integral that have been solved analytically.