1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A very Weird Integral

1. Jan 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

evaluate 5}\right)dx%20$.gif

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i dont think there is an elementary function as anti derivative for this integral

i tried taylor expansion, doesn't seem to work.

Can anyone give me a hint ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

WolframAlpha shows the indefinite integral to include the Hypergeometric function 2F1. http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Integrate+%281-x^5%29^%281%2F7%29-%281-x^7%29^%281%2F5%29dx

It shows the definite integral to be zero.

4. Jan 27, 2012 #3
    Although I really don't think there's an easy way to solve this one, it's neat to notice the weird symmetry of the powers on x and of the roots (1/5 and 1/7 compared with 7 and 5 for powers). Notice that you can factor both (1-x^5) and (1-x^7). It's kind of taunting when you do factor them and realize they're very similar. Try playing around with this.

5. Jan 27, 2012 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

There's a neat way to do this. Start by observing that:

[itex]f(x) = (1-x^5)^{\frac{1}{7}}[/itex] and [itex]g(x) = (1-x^7)^{\frac{1}{5}}[/itex]

are in fact inverse functions. This means that they are symmetrical when reflected in the line y = x.

Over the domain [0,1], they both have the range [0,1].

Can you now draw a conclusion about the areas under each curve from 0 to 1? :wink:

This general method applies to a lot of functions of that form. Nothing special about the 5 or 7 here. :biggrin:

6. Jan 27, 2012 #5
    Bah, I was getting there! Nice find Curious.

7. Jan 27, 2012 #6
    Wow thank you and everyone.
    mathematics is awesome
    \m/

8. Jan 27, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, this is very interesting!

So, under what conditions is [itex]\displaystyle \int_0^1 \left(f(x)-f^{-1}(x)\right)\,dx=0\,?[/itex]

Of course the domains & ranges have to all be [0,1].

As it so happens, map 1 → 0 , and 0 → 1 . Is that important ? Yes it is.

In the case where f(0) = 0 = f -1(0) and f(1) = 1 = f -1(1), we find that [itex]\displaystyle \int_0^1 \left(f(x)+f^{-1}(x)\right)\,dx=1[/itex] instead. Notice that the functions are added here.

9. Jan 27, 2012 #8

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Yes, it depends on whether the functions are increasing or decreasing over the interval. :smile:

10. Jun 27, 2012 #9
    You can also follow the hints that you were given: first substitute, say in the second integral, [itex] t=(1-x^7)^{1/5} [/itex]. You'll get something like [itex] \int dt t f(t) [/itex]. Then do partial integration with this. Since the integration limits are 0 and 1 in both cases, the remaining integrals should cancel and you're left with a boundary term which is easy to evaluate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook