Ac Circuit Ideal Diode: Find Vout-t

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Rampart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Diode
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Vout-t in a circuit with an ideal diode. The individual mentions their approach and asks for guidance on their solution, making note of a mistake in drawing the circuit and uncertainty about the signal's period. They express gratitude for the corrections and state their willingness to ask more questions in their pursuit to understand diodes.
Rampart

Homework Statement

http://prntscr.com/51us65
the diode is ideal.What i need to find is the Vout-t

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

check my solution in pdf and guide me if you can...

***In my approach,in the circuit i forgot to draw the line.It is supposed to be a short circuit,not an open.I just erased the diode and forgot to draw the line.

Attachments

• New Doc 15.pdf
    705.1 KB · Views: 234
Physics news on Phys.org
OK exceptthe jump is from 0 to 5V, not 10V.
Also, the whole section 6-8 should be excluded. You don't know when the signal repeats (what its period is).

Well thank you sir.I will take your corrections into account and i will try to understand them.And as i am getting into this unfamiliar field(aka diodes),i will not back out when i have more questions to be answered.

Related to Ac Circuit Ideal Diode: Find Vout-t

1. What is an ideal diode in an AC circuit?

An ideal diode is a theoretical electronic component that only allows current to flow in one direction, similar to a regular diode. However, it has no voltage drop and can conduct an unlimited amount of current in the forward direction, while completely blocking current in the reverse direction.

2. How does an ideal diode affect the output voltage in an AC circuit?

In an AC circuit, an ideal diode will only allow the positive half of the AC cycle to pass through, resulting in a rectified output voltage. This means that the output voltage will only be present when the input voltage is greater than the diode's forward voltage drop.

3. How do you calculate the output voltage in an AC circuit with an ideal diode?

The output voltage in an AC circuit with an ideal diode can be calculated by using the formula Vout = Vin - Vd, where Vin is the input voltage and Vd is the diode's forward voltage drop.

4. Can an ideal diode be used in practical AC circuits?

No, an ideal diode is a theoretical concept and does not exist in practical circuits. However, real diodes can be modeled closely to ideal diodes for certain applications.

5. What are the limitations of using an ideal diode in an AC circuit?

The main limitation of using an ideal diode in an AC circuit is that it can only handle a certain amount of current before it fails. In practical circuits, real diodes have a maximum current rating that must be taken into consideration.