Aeronautical Engineering & Aircraft Accident Causes

In summary, it seems that there are blue chips from China that are related to the stock market, and people are concerned because they are not sure who is real and who is not. You are an engineer, and you can help this China man with his problem of communication mix ups.
aeroguy
hey guys
i just want to know if an aeronautical engineer fault in designing or in building the aircraft could cause an aircraft accident?

Physics news on Phys.org

yes.

rbeale's answer is as good as you're going to get with such a vague question.

I think you don't need us to tell you that - if the aeronautical engineer pulled out his Imperial slide rule instead of his metric slide rule when attempting to choose the appropriate wing-mount bolts - it could indeed result in an aircraft accident.

Perhaps you could elaborate.

We would like to think that there are enough checks in the release system that things get caught. However things get through and analyses are sometimes carried out improperly. In most cases, the blame, legally, is taken by the company.

There have been instances of companies making mistakes that resulted in accidents, as happens in any industry. The one that immediately comes to mind is the cargo door issue on DC-10's. The vast majority of air disasters, however, are the result of poor maintenance, pilot error, freak accidents (including unforeseen weather or bird strikes), and other after-sale circumstances.

Danger said:
The one that immediately comes to mind is the cargo door issue on DC-10's.
Or the one that destroyed a country's aircraft industry = the Comet's square windows

I must admit, Mgb, that I had to Google that. I was unaware of it.

You didn't know about the Comet? Oh Danger...That aircraft single handedly kicked GB out of the airliner business. I guess we should thank DeHavilland.

Aparently, boeing had a faulty design on the DC-10's landing gear. It failed on landing in China and killed a bunch of people. (I believe beoing now owns the DC-10).

Boeing and Mac-Doug merged in 1996 or 1997. That was way after production stopped IIRC. I think Boeing didn't have much to do with any landing gear issues.

What crash are you talking about? I had not heard of a crash in China and can't find any reference to one. Although the DC-10 did have a pretty rough start.

mgb_phys said:
Or the one that destroyed a country's aircraft industry = the Comet's square windows

There was also a test procedure to blame for not revealing the true fatigue life of the fuselage section near the window corner. They applied proof pressures to the cabin during the pressure fatigue cycling test, which is believed to have left residual compressive stresses at the crack origin. This lead the designers to believe they had a much longer safe life.

FredGarvin said:
You didn't know about the Comet?

I'm afraid that I'm not much into history. As hard as it might be to believe from my picture, the Comet incidents actually occurred couple of years before I started flying.

rbeale98 said:
There was also a test procedure to blame for not revealing the true fatigue life of the fuselage section near the window corner.
The didn't understand that the fatigue curve for aluminium is very different form a metal like steel that work hardens.
WWII aluminium planes weren't pressurized an so didn't have the stress cycles.

In a way it was lucky - the research into why the comet crashed discovered a lot about Al.

FredGarvin said:
Boeing and Mac-Doug merged in 1996 or 1997. That was way after production stopped IIRC. I think Boeing didn't have much to do with any landing gear issues.

What crash are you talking about? I had not heard of a crash in China and can't find any reference to one. Although the DC-10 did have a pretty rough start.

UK5te5Yp0_8[/youtube]

Cyrus said:
UK5te5Yp0_8[/youtube][/QUOTE] Ouch!

DaveC426913 said:
rbeale's answer is as good as you're going to get with such a vague question.

I think you don't need us to tell you that - if the aeronautical engineer pulled out his Imperial slide rule instead of his metric slide rule when attempting to choose the appropriate wing-mount bolts - it could indeed result in an aircraft accident.

Perhaps you could elaborate.

what are blue chips from china that have to do with sattelitle comm's.? i need to know BAD...i don't know if i am being tricked or if it's the end of the world. why do they cost 8.3 million u.s. $ for a few, is this really spam or is some thing bad going on. you are an engineer, you know what i am talking about. you can help this china man with his problem of communication mix ups. i don't know what to do, I've tried everything and i am afraid it's real. will you help us...all the people who are being called emailed or asked about this propasal and feels afraid about the fact that we don't know who is real or not any more because we live on the Earth talking to each other through boxes and wires instead the way we remember a long time ago when we dreamed as a human kind rather than these unrealistic lifestyles and expectations normal people are expected to contend. only because you can count on my reality and you are knowlegeable. thanks no time. i had a dream last night i swallowed a hornet and he didn't sting me, we we're friends, he sat on my fingers and kilt spiders. why can't why's be answered and why do we only say why when we have no other way to express ourselves in ways everyone can understand...and here: human error is the cause of most idiodic and embarrassing failures wether it's air, space, or water...or you walking and innocently missing a few steps and fall.

Related to Aeronautical Engineering & Aircraft Accident Causes

1. What is aeronautical engineering and what does it entail?

Aeronautical engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and construction of aircraft and spacecraft. It involves a combination of disciplines such as aerodynamics, propulsion systems, structural design, and materials science.

2. What are the most common causes of aircraft accidents?

The most common causes of aircraft accidents include pilot error, mechanical failures, inclement weather conditions, and air traffic control errors. Other contributing factors may include inadequate maintenance, design flaws, and human factors such as fatigue or stress.

3. How do aeronautical engineers work to prevent aircraft accidents?

Aeronautical engineers play a crucial role in preventing aircraft accidents by designing and testing aircraft to ensure they meet safety standards, conducting regular maintenance checks, and analyzing data from previous accidents to identify potential risks. They also work closely with pilots and air traffic controllers to improve communication and decision-making processes.

4. Can technology help reduce the number of aircraft accidents?

Yes, technology plays a significant role in preventing aircraft accidents. Advancements in aircraft design, materials, and navigation systems have greatly improved the safety of air travel. Additionally, innovations such as collision avoidance systems, weather monitoring tools, and improved communication systems have also contributed to reducing the number of accidents.

5. How are aircraft accidents investigated?

Aircraft accidents are investigated by a team of experts, including aeronautical engineers, pilots, and air traffic controllers. They analyze data from the flight recorder, also known as the "black box," and examine the wreckage to determine the cause of the accident. They may also conduct simulations and recreate the flight to gather more information. The findings of the investigation are used to improve safety protocols and prevent future accidents.