Air Resistance and Projectile Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the time it takes for an object to reach its maximal elevation when subject to gravity alone, gravity combined with a retarding force, and in the limit of the retarding force approaching zero. The solution involves solving a second-order differential equation and using L'Hôpital's rule to expand the resulting formula for maximal time.
AlexChandler

Homework Statement

An object is ejected straight up into the air at an initial velocity v0.
(a) Determine the time for reaching the maximal elevation when the object is subject
to gravity alone.
(b) Determine the time for reaching the maximal elevation when the object is subject
to gravity combined with a retarding force of the form kmv.
(c) Carefully expand your result from 1b to determine that it agrees with 1a in the
limit of k approaching 0.
(d) On the basis of the expansion 1c decide whether the retarding force extends or
shortens the time to reach the maximal elevation.

Homework Equations

Fz=maz
Fz=-mg
Fz=-mkv

The Attempt at a Solution

I had no real trouble with part a and b

For a I got tmax=v0/g

for b I had to use a 2nd order Diff Eq and I got tmax=(2/k) ln([kv0/g]-1)

for part c I tried using a Maclaurin polynomial for my result t(k)...(t as a function of k) for part b around k=0. However I was unable to do the expansion as I could not find the value of t(0)... (this is the value for the time as calculated in part b as k approaches zero) I tried using a limit to evaluate the value, but couldn't figure it out. Any ideas?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you put k=0, you will get a 0/0 form,
So, you can apply L' Hospital Rule!

Yes, I thought of that at first, but actually you get ln(-1)/0
and natural log(-1) = 3.14159265 i

AlexChandler said:
for b I had to use a 2nd order Diff Eq and I got tmax=(2/k) ln([kv0/g]-1)

Show your work. You have to solve a first-order equation to get the time of maximal elevation.

ehild

F=ma. In vertical dimention (z) with up as positive
-kmv-mg=ma
-kmz'-mg=mz"
z"+kz'= -g
this is the second order diff eq I solved to find a function z(t)
I then set z'(t)=0 and solved for the time t at which z is max
this led me to the solution I posted.

Haha I suppose it would be first order.
v'+kv=-g
Since I don't even really need the position function.
Is this the first order you were talking about?

Ahh yes have solved the problem. Made a small algebraic mistake a few steps ago. The formula for Tmax turned out to be much simpler to expand. Actually, I was able to use l'Hôpital's rule! (that is... Bernoulli's rule). Thanks for your help.

Related to Air Resistance and Projectile Motion

1) What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It is caused by the friction between the air molecules and the surface of the object, resulting in a slowing down of the object's motion.

2) How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance affects projectile motion by slowing down the projectile's speed and altering its trajectory. As the projectile travels through the air, it experiences an opposing force in the opposite direction of its motion, causing it to deviate from its expected path.

3) What factors affect the amount of air resistance on a projectile?

The amount of air resistance on a projectile is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the object, the speed of the object, and the density of the air. Objects with larger surface areas and higher speeds experience more air resistance, while denser air results in greater resistance.

4) How can air resistance be minimized in projectile motion?

Air resistance can be minimized in projectile motion by reducing the surface area of the object, increasing its speed, and adjusting its shape to be more streamlined. Additionally, objects can be launched at higher altitudes where air density is lower, resulting in less air resistance.

5) What are some real-world applications of understanding air resistance in projectile motion?

Understanding air resistance in projectile motion is crucial in various fields, including sports, engineering, and space exploration. It helps in designing more aerodynamic objects, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and improving the accuracy of long-range shots in sports such as golf and football. In space exploration, it is essential for launching and maneuvering spacecraft and in predicting the re-entry of objects into the Earth's atmosphere.