How Does Air Resistance Affect Vehicle Acceleration and Deceleration?

In summary, a vehicle with a mass of 3 kg and a speed of 5 m/s can reach a maximum speed of 9 m/s after a time of 2.5 s. The vehicle experiences a resistance of air and friction. Air resistance is proportional to the square of the speed and friction is proportional to the mass and the speed.
Gwilim

Homework Statement

A vehicle of mass m experiences a constant frictional resistance ma and air resistance proportional to the square of its speed. It can exert a constant propelling force mb and attain a maximum speed V Show that, starting from rest, it can attain the speed V/2 in the time

Vln3/2(b-a)​

And that the friction and air resistance alone can then bring it to rest in a further time

(V/(a(b-a))^1/2)tan-1(b-a/4a)^1/2​

2. The attempt at a solution

Using mc as the constant of proportionality for air resistance yields:

x''=b-a-c(x')^2

from there I'm just guessing as to the method but I've tried this:

dx'/dt=b-a-c(x')^2

int(dx')=int((b-a-c(x')^2)dt)
=(b-a)int(dt)-c(int((x')^2dt)
=(b-a)int(dt)-c(int(x'dx))

but I'm not sure how to integrate x' w.r.t. x?

Of course I could be going about it completely the wrong way. The motion is in one dimension so I could maybe import one of the equations of motion, like v^2=u^2+2as? I'm sure I'm missing a trick (or two) somewhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use auxiliary variable v = dx/dt

Then your equation is of the form

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}= A - B v^{2}[/tex]

from which

[tex]\frac{dv}{A-Bv^{2}}=dt[/tex]

The variables are now separated and you can integrate.

integrating:

t=arctan(((-c^1/2)/((b-a)^1/2))v)/(b-a)^1/2(-c^1/2)

rearranging:

v=(((b-a)^1/2)/(-c^1/2))tan((b-a)^1/2)(-c^1/2)t

sorry about the horrible presentation I don't know how to use LaTeX.

The -c^1/2 makes me a little uneasy but I've used the tan form of the integral as it's easier to remember than tanh and judging from the question more likely to yield the result I'm looking for.

OKay so now how do I actually answer the question?

I don't know how you got your answer, but I shoved the integral in Mathematica and got

[tex]t = \frac{1}{\sqrt{AB}}ArcTanh(\frac{\sqrt{B}}{\sqrt{A}}v)[/tex]

where A = a - b and B = c. Recheck your work.

To complete the problem, you need to eliminate c in favor of V, i.e. find c in terms of V and the other constants. Hint: What does your diff. eq. look like when the object reaches terminal velocity?

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid, such as air. It is caused by the collision of air particles with the surface of the object, causing a force in the opposite direction of its motion.

2. How does air resistance affect a vehicle?

Air resistance can significantly impact a vehicle's performance and fuel efficiency. When a vehicle moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which requires more energy to overcome. This results in decreased speed and increased fuel consumption.

3. What factors affect the air resistance of a vehicle?

The shape, size, and speed of a vehicle are the main factors that affect air resistance. A streamlined shape with fewer sharp edges and a smaller frontal area will experience less air resistance. Additionally, the faster a vehicle moves, the greater the air resistance it will encounter.

4. How can the air resistance of a vehicle be reduced?

To reduce air resistance, vehicles can be designed with more aerodynamic shapes and features, such as curved surfaces, smaller frontal areas, and streamlined designs. Additionally, maintaining a lower speed can also help reduce the impact of air resistance on a vehicle.

5. How is air resistance measured and calculated?

The air resistance of a vehicle can be measured and calculated using the drag coefficient, which is a dimensionless number that represents the amount of air resistance experienced by an object. It is calculated by dividing the drag force by the product of the air density, velocity, and reference area of the vehicle.