Why does the reaction between acid and aluminium start slow and then speed up?

In summary, the conversation discusses the observation that the reaction between acid and aluminium starts off slow and then becomes faster. Ideas are exchanged, with one person suggesting that aluminium's high melting and boiling point may be the cause, but it is later clarified that the reaction is actually due to the formation of Aluminium Oxide on the surface of the metal. This oxide layer reacts with the acid first, followed by the acid reacting with the bare metal, leading to a slower then faster reaction. The group agrees that this is the most likely explanation.
rahmatkat
Can anyone help me with this homework question? it was like this:

The reaction between the acid and aluminium is slow in the beginning and then gets faster. Give an explanation for this observation.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have ideas of your own?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, my idea is that it has a high melting and boiling point and its resist corrosion, unfortunately my answer above is wrong and i don't have any other idea why it reacts slowly with acid at first and then faster.

It has nothing to do with melting points. What do you know about aluminum reacting with oxygen?

Oh, I get it now, aluminium react with oxygen gas in the air and produce Aluminium Oxide forming in the outside part of an aluminium metal right? So when that aluminium metal is reacted with an acid, Aluminium Oxide reacts first with the acid and when it finished reacting with it, the acid then react with the aluminium which being coated by Aluminium Oxide.

You started your answer (post #5) well and then you smashed your logic as you progressed.

Oh,
So Aluminium Oxide did form?
As for the reaction, the oxygen present in the Alumium Oxide react first with the acid and when that Oxygen dissapear, the acid then react with Aluminium, is that rihgt?

You must be on the correct track. Aluminum is a reactive metal, but Aluminum oxide is much less reactive. I am not myself fully in tune with the way the reaction with acid should progress; but the acid solution first meets the oxide, and then meets the mostly unreacted aluminum (which is then in contact to react).

You are homing on the target. Slow part - reaction with oxide, fast part - reaction with bare metal.

Thanks guys, I think I get it now.

1. How does aluminium react with acid?

When aluminium comes into contact with an acid, a chemical reaction occurs. The acid, which is typically a solution of hydrochloric acid or sulfuric acid, breaks down the protective layer of oxide on the surface of the aluminium. This allows the acid to react with the underlying metal, producing hydrogen gas and an aqueous solution of aluminium ions. The reaction can be summarized by the following equation: 2Al + 6HCl → 2AlCl3 + 3H2

2. Is the reaction between aluminium and acid dangerous?

While the reaction between aluminium and acid does produce hydrogen gas, which is flammable, the reaction itself is not dangerous as long as it is carried out in a controlled environment. However, caution should be taken when working with concentrated acids, as they can cause burns if they come into contact with skin.

3. What are the products of the reaction between aluminium and acid?

The products of the reaction between aluminium and acid are aluminium ions (Al3+) and hydrogen gas (H2). The aluminium ions form an aqueous solution with the acid, while the hydrogen gas is released as a byproduct.

4. Can any type of acid be used to react with aluminium?

The most commonly used acids for reacting with aluminium are hydrochloric acid (HCl) and sulfuric acid (H2SO4). These acids are strong enough to break down the oxide layer on the surface of the aluminium, but not strong enough to cause excessive corrosion of the metal. Other acids, such as nitric acid, can also react with aluminium but may cause more rapid corrosion.

5. What are the uses of aluminium reaction with acid?

The reaction between aluminium and acid is used in various industries, such as in the production of hydrogen gas for fuel, in the purification of metals, and in the production of various aluminium compounds. It is also commonly used in chemistry experiments and demonstrations to show the reactivity of metals with acids.